ssd queries , complete noob

dan3535 16:55 31 May 2018

Hi , this is probably an easy one but I have very little knowledge of computers. I bought a new pc today , it said it had a 1tb hdd and a 128gb ssd , in This pc folder that shows what drives I have, I've got C which is 118 gb capacity , D which is the 1tb drive I mentioned and E which is recovery and thats 12.5 gb , where is the ssd as thats the one I wanted to install games on. Any help will be greatly appreciated

Danw159 18:31 31 May 2018

Your C drive will be your SSD from what you said. It has got a recovery partition. This means that part of the SSD, from the numbers you gave, has been dedicated to the recovery files.

dan3535 18:46 31 May 2018

Aah I see , thank you for that , I did wonder if it was c but as it was only about 118gb dismissed it. Thanks again

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:53 31 May 2018

Have a look in Disk management (right click start) and tell us waht is shown there?

usually disk 0 - containing 3 partitions system reserve (where the boot files are) with no drive letter C: drive with windows and Recovery (489Mb) where the repair tools are kept again no drive letter)

in your case the manufacturer has probably place the machines recovery drive containing and image of the operating system on your e drive on the same disk.

As you have a small SSD it may be better to move the User folders (which will hold all your phot0s music data etc. to the D drive and install any programs / apps to d (use the custom option when installing). This will then leave room to install your games to the c drive.

Menzie 00:33 01 Jun 2018

As suggested, install the games on the D drive. I also have a 128GB SSD and with many PC games these days being north of 50GB, you can fill up a 128GB drive very quickly. Mine has no games on it but after a few updates and installations I wouldn't have the space to install some of the more modern games on it. Which is where my large D drive comes in.

dan3535 09:47 01 Jun 2018

Hi,thanks a lot to everyone who took the time to reply,it can be time consuming so I appreciate it . I'll probably be back on here a lot as I really don't know much about computers lol , so be prepared for some jaw droppingly simple questions

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Disintegration preview

Nexus Studios on how to make the perfect animation showreel and portfolio

Apple TV streaming service: what, where, when and how much

Apple Watch Series 5 : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs