SSD Hard Drives Life-Time Test, - HOW???

thegreypanther 11:31 07 Nov 2016

In the latest PC Advisor magazine, there is an article about checking the life of SSDs (see page 115).

My problem is that my SSD drive appears to have no name (or even the name of the manufacturer), and I can find no software on the PC which might enable me to check the life-span usage of this disc.My SSD is a 250Gb disc, and is used for programs / emails only. All data is on a standard 2 Tb hard drive.

A bit of clarification by PC Advisor would be VERY welcome!

lotvic 15:04 07 Nov 2016

You could try the free Speccy program from piriform, it may tell you the name/manufacturer of your SSD click here I find it excellent, gives info on all components on pc.

Secret-Squirrel 16:31 07 Nov 2016

You could try the free Speccy program from piriform.......

.......and if you look at the SMART status and attributes for your drive it'll tell you whether it's healthy or not.

I don't know what's on page 115 of the magazine so I hope that helps.

thegreypanther 19:24 07 Nov 2016

I have downloaded the Speccy program and it certainly provides a mass of information. I now know that my SSD drive is made by Crucial, and seems to have a type / serial number of CT240BX200SSD1.

Speccy also tells me that the Power On Count is 516 times and the Power On Time is 12.7 days.

But the PC Advisor article says that the life-span of SSDs is gauged by "Terrabytes Written" (TBW). Maybe I shall have to contact CRucial to find out if they have software to provide an estimate of TBW.

rdave13 19:33 07 Nov 2016

Have a look at this .

thegreypanther 19:43 07 Nov 2016

Unfortunately, SSD Life Free only repeats the information that the Speccy program provides, and cannot determine / calculate TBW for the particular type of SSD drive that I have installed.

I have emailed Crucial to see if they can provide guidance.

Secret-Squirrel 19:58 07 Nov 2016

I now know that my SSD drive is made by Crucial, ............CT240BX200SSD1.

According to Crucial, the endurance for that SSD is "72TB total bytes written (TBW)". Does its SMART info not show you how many bytes have been written?

Old Deuteronomy 20:39 07 Nov 2016

According to Crucial, the endurance for that SSD is "72TB total bytes written (TBW)". Does its SMART info not show you how many bytes have been written?

Crucial drives do not provide that information, unfortunately.

Secret-Squirrel 08:29 08 Nov 2016

Crucial drives do not provide that information......

That's disappointing but now we know the endurance of the drive we can make a rough calculation.

Panther, 72TB equates to writing 40GB of data to the drive everyday for five years. Very few users ever achieve that, so for a very light user like yourself, you can safely assume that the longevity of your drive will be a lot longer.

thegreypanther 09:00 08 Nov 2016

Many thanks, Secret Squirrel.

Hopefully my usage of the SSD C-Drive is light enough that I CAN expect a long life for the drive. I use a 2Tb "standard" disc drive for my data (the D-drive) and this is backed-up on a daily basis. Memories of failed discs in the past makes me somewhat more than cautious, maybe!

Secret-Squirrel 09:41 08 Nov 2016

Hopefully my usage of the SSD C-Drive is light enough that I CAN expect a long life for the drive.

I installed a Samsung SSD 15 months ago and the drive holds everything - Windows, programs and data. I've just checked my "Samsung Magician" program and 2.14TB have been written so far. The endurance of my SSD is 75TB so it's got plenty of life in it still.

I predict that you'll have bought a new computer years before your SSD starts to get tired.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 6T McLaren edition costs more and charges faster

Climate change, War and #MeToo: 'Ugly Truth' Christmas jumpers show the dark side to modern life

New Apple Products 2019: Predicting the new Apple products coming soon

Samsung Galaxy S10 : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs