Hot Topics

Spyware Blaster, Superantispyware, Malwarebytes, C

hastelloy 13:20 01 Jul 2020

I have used Spyware Blaster, Superantispyware, Malwarebytes for years as well as CCleaner. I have ordered a new PC as mine has died.

Is there a better combination of protection and is CCleaner OK with an SSD? I have Bullguard AV.

wee eddie 13:40 01 Jul 2020

My line-up is the same freeware as yours, although I dropped Spyware Blaster a couple of years back.

I have a maintenance session late afternoon most every Sunday and run them in this order, CCleaner, Malwarebytes and then Superantispyware. After I run an Incremental Backup to the External Drive that I keep in a Fireproof Box

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:24 01 Jul 2020

Dropped Super.. awhile ago

still use the others OK with a SSD

Spywareblaster is a blocker to bad sites so can help with stopping redirections.

CCleaner has its detractors but I find it a quick easy way to get rid of junk files before making a back up image whether or ot its supposed to speed up my PC.

Malwarebytes is good but I find their web ad blocker can stop me using features in lots of legitimate sites.

Joe G 15:00 01 Jul 2020

I stopped using CCleaner after their virus issue a while back. I use Wise Care 365 which has much of the same functionality and seems to work pretty well. I use the others you mention as well as adwcleaner from Malwarebytes. Windows Defender is my AV

Not had a serious infection yet (touches wood)!

hastelloy 16:05 01 Jul 2020

Many thanks for all replies. I think I'll stick with what I know though I might give adwcleaner a go as well.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:31 01 Jul 2020

adwcleaner is good for detection and removal of PUPS however using the other protection adwcleaner has't found anything on my system for years.

hastelloy 08:27 02 Jul 2020

Fruit Bat /\0/\

Many thanks for that.

Gordon Freeman 09:03 02 Jul 2020

For the past few years I've just used Win 10 Defender, which has AV & AM, & have experienced no problems/infections at all. Occasionally I run ADW, which rarely finds anything though. I do run CC maybe once per week, which clears out old graphics, or other drivers post any received updates. That's it. Using the latter (CC) with SSD isn't a problem, & not sure why you think it might be.

hastelloy 10:13 02 Jul 2020

"Using the latter (CC) with SSD isn't a problem, & not sure why you think it might be."

I had read somewhere that it was not a good idea.

wee eddie 10:28 02 Jul 2020

Hastelloy: Maybe your confusing cleaning out the Cookies with Defragmenting, which reduces the lifespan of SSDs considerably

john bunyan 10:37 02 Jul 2020

*wee eddie *

With a SSD I thought that “trim” - not defragmentation is recommended? I have a SSD for OS , programmes and a SATA for data on desktop and the system, if asked, suggests a trim on the SSD, especially after a major update as recently?

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

1x1 pixel
Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi 10 Ultra launched: 120x zoom, 120W charging & 120Hz display

Landscape Illustration tips from leading illustrators

New MacBook Air could be coming soon

Comment recycler un téléphone portable ?