Spybot - Search & Destroy

Sibbo 09:23 01 Aug 2005

I have version 1.4 installed and after running it today it found 3 registry problems which relate to Windows Security Centre. They state:

Windows Security Center: Settings (Registry change, nothing done)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\FirewallDisableNotify!=dword:0

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\UpdatesDisableNotify!=dword:0

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\AntiVirusDisableNotify!=dword:0

Is this something that has happened during Windows Update? I'm running Norton Internet Security 2005 and recently installed Diskeeper software. Is anybody else receiving these "problem" reports from Spybot? TIA

Danoh 09:35 01 Aug 2005

Its most likely a false alarm as it was for me click here. If you do a search for "Spybot" you will find previous threads on this as well.

Sibbo 12:44 01 Aug 2005

I guess everything is ok then as I don't use the Windows Firewall, but I don't see why it should mention AV software. I've used NIS 2005 for quiet a while without any previous alerts.

Danoh 13:01 01 Aug 2005

That SpyBot team member who posted makes a valid point that there are malware which seeks to switch off or override A/V and firewall software. The are simply using the symptoms of such malware to trigger these alerts recently but unfortunately the symptoms are the same as those created by robust security suites such as NIS 2005.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

Iconic New York graphic designer Milton Glaser on his uplifting new subway posters

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment suivre le parcours du père Noël ?