Speedtouch 330 running with TalkTalk

alimci 21:35 25 May 2010

For the last few years I have been connecting to the internet using a speedtouch 330 from TT with no problem. It is connected to a laptop running XP. Over the last few weeks, the connection software has been having difficulty in connecting, saying there is no dial tone. I can use the phone without any difficulty whilst it is saying this, and all the wiring and microfilter seem happy, and I've tried using different USB ports with no effect. I now just basically turn on the machine and wait til the ADSL light stops flashing, which can be immediately or after an hour, and then try and connect.

I had thought that maybe the modem is dying and I should get an upgrade, but looking through other messages here, using TT wireless seems to be fraught with horror, and TT itself seems to support hardly any hardware.

Should I just look for a new 330? Advice gladly accepted!

mgmcc 22:40 25 May 2010

Most ISPs these days provide Wireless Routers instead of USB Modems, but you *DON'T* have to use them "wirelessly". You can connect computers to the router by ethernet cable, disable the wireless feature and forget about it.

alimci 12:45 30 May 2010

Thanks for that, I had no idea that was possible.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy S9 review

Adobe price increase confuses customers

What to expect at Apple's 27 March education event

Comment filmer l’écran d’un iPhone ?