Speed up loading of Adobe Reader 6.0

Pesala 23:10 12 May 2004

I came across this article click here to speed up this slug.

If you have a low-end system, Adobe Reader 6.0 can take 30 seconds of so to load. Removing the splash startup screen helps a great deal. Perhaps this tip will help more.

Has anyone else tried it yet? I will try it and see what results I get, but I need to reboot first. It seems very simple to do and to reverse if it doesn't work well.

PSF 23:15 12 May 2004

I use that, it greatly reduces the opening time, a pdf will now open in less than 2 seconds.

powerless 23:15 12 May 2004

There is a program where you can check/uncheck the plugins loaded.

PSF 23:25 12 May 2004

You can download the program 'Adobe Reader SpeedUp' from:

click here

Pesala 23:42 12 May 2004

I used my Irfan View tip to save the screen to disk to measure load times. Not precise, but maybe accurate to the nearest second. My system is a 1Ghz AMD Athlon. I already have the splash screen turned off.

Before "Liposuction"

Cold boot 15 seconds Warm boot 4 seconds

A cold boot means the first time Adobe Reader is loaded without any files, a warm boot means the second time it is run, also without any files.

After "liposuction"

Cold boot 10 seconds Warm boot 3 seconds

Thanks to PSF for the program to choose which plugins to load, it seems like a neater solution.

powerless 23:45 12 May 2004

My adobe nows opens in 2 seconds.

Pesala 00:16 13 May 2004

I also needed to download and install the Visual Basic runtime modules. On running Speedup, I opted to install the weblink plugin as hot links in PDF files are often useful.

Adobe Reader now refuses to open. I will reboot and try again.

Pesala 00:34 13 May 2004

The weblink plugin has a dependency on the Escript plugin, so fails to initialise if it is not installed. One must select both, then it works fine.

Cold boot was 12 seconds, warm boot 3 seconds. The weblinks work fine.

powerless 22:51 26 Sep 2004

...Lost and found.

...and it still works.

€dstowe 06:53 27 Sep 2004

What are you going to do with all this extra time you have available? Blink? Take a breath?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

No need to scan sketches into your computer with Moleskine's new smart pen

WWDC history: Apple's product launches since 2005

Comment importer des contacts d’un iPhone à un autre iPhone ?