Spec for Photoshop and Lightroom use.

omeyas 09:32 23 Feb 2018
Answered

Hi, heavy Photoshop and Lightroom user, looking to replace my computer which is struggling. I was given this quote,this is about the price I'm looking to pay but I'm prepared to go a bit more expensive if needed, so any thoughts, suggestions? I'm OK with cameras, software etc but basically no idea what goes on under the computer casing!Thanks

CasePCS CYCLONE GAMING CASE (Blue LED Fans)Processor (CPU)Intel® Core™i7 Six Core Processor i7-8700k (3.7GHz) 12MB CacheMotherboardASUS® PRIME Z370-P: ATX, LGA1151, USB 3.1, SATA 6GBsMemory (RAM)32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2133MHz (2 x 16GB)Graphics Card4GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1050 Ti - DVI, HDMI, DP1st Hard Disk2TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 64MB CACHE1st M.2 SSD Drive256GB SAMSUNG PM961 M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 2800MB/R, 1100MB/W)DVD/BLU-RAY DriveNOT REQUIREDPower SupplyCORSAIR 550W VS SERIES™ VS-550 POWER SUPPLYPower Cable1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)Processor CoolingCoolerMaster Hyper 212X (120mm) Fan CPU CoolerThermal PasteSTANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLINGExtra Case Fans1x 120mm Black Case Fan (configured to extract from rear/roof)Sound CardONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)Wireless/Wired NetworkingWIRELESS 802.11 AC1200 867Mbps/5GHz, 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARDUSB OptionsMIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTSOperating SystemGenuine Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KK3-00003]Operating System LanguageUnited Kingdom - English LanguageWindows Recovery MediaWindows 10 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Supplied on DVDOffice SoftwareNO OFFICE SOFTWAREAnti-VirusNO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWAREBrowserMicrosoft® Edge (Windows 10 Only)

john bunyan 10:22 23 Feb 2018

I would have thought that is way OTT for Photoshop ( stills). Will leave others to comment if you are talking videos.

Forum Editor 11:19 23 Feb 2018

A machine like this will simply charge its way through anything you can throw at it from Photoshop and Lightroom.

You will be getting a highly specified computer - it exceeds the software system requirements by a long way - and as long as you are happy to pay the price (whatever it is) you'll be very pleased with its performance.

john bunyan 16:02 23 Feb 2018
  omeyas 19:46 23 Feb 2018

Thanks for the replies!

omeyas 19:54 23 Feb 2018

Hi again, the following is on the quote, means pretty much nothing to me, any advice please?

You have selected a 550W power supply, but based on our calculations you actually only need a 350W power supply. We have calculated your specification to require around 298W of power including a 20% allowance. Although it is not a mandatory requirement to select a lower wattage power supply, doing so will save you money and the last thing we'd like to do is over charge you!

We note that you have selected an SSD drive and a mechanical hard drive under the primary hard disk drive option. Please confirm whether you would like your operating system (OS) to be installed on the SSD drive or on the mechanical hard drive:

john bunyan 20:40 23 Feb 2018

Put Operating System (OS)and programmes such as Photoshop on SDD - C drive. Then keep all your self generated data on the 2 TB drive - call it D.

If they suggest power supply then fine. If for Photoshop only I would have gone for a cheaper system . Do get one or more USB drives for back ups and set up a recovery and back up plan.

omeyas 21:14 23 Feb 2018

Ok, thanks for that, it had defaulted to the ssd drive, and when I clicked on the choice, it said not recommended on the mechanical drive, so you're spot on! The spec I gave them was one suggested by another company, so they'd have made sure it was expensive! As for the money, I'm happy to spend that (more money than sense!)my current system is really pedestrian, so I'm looking for something that'll be fast and last me for several years to come. Thanks again.

AroundAgain 21:53 23 Feb 2018

Just out of interest, how many USB ports?

I use, routinely, one each for -

Keyboard; Mouse; Printer; Scanner; 2 x EXT DD; Touchpad/Pen mat for Photoshop etc; Plus 4xUSB Hub, with another hub when necessary.

I would have liked a few more set on the computer, to be honest ;)

rdave13 22:07 23 Feb 2018

AroundAgain - you still use

Printer; Scanner; off USB?

omeyas 22:08 23 Feb 2018

Hi, it says on the spec "min 2 x USB 3.0 2 x USB 2.0 at back panel, and 2 min front ports"

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Amazon Prime Day 2018: Best Deals & Launches

Say aloha to the summertime vibes of artist Kim Sielbeck

The best Amazon Prime Day Apple deals 2018

Les meilleures séries Amazon Prime Video (2018)