Speakers next to Monitor

  turnip 60 21:03 15 Aug 2004

Hi, I recently bought a new speaker system which included a woofer. I did a silly thing by having the woofer too close to my monitor and of course i now have a little red tinted patch in the corner of my screen. I understand it needs to be De-Gaussed or something like that.Can i do this myself or does it involve special equipment.

  CurlyWhirly 21:11 15 Aug 2004

On my monitor there is degaussing built in.
It is a Dell monitor and just below the screen are 5 buttons and using a combination of these buttons I eventually get to the degaussing menu where I click OK and after a few seconds the screen momentarily 'wiggles' and after this the screen is degaussed.
Does your monitor have these button controls?
by the way I have a CRT monitor and if you have a TFT monitor I am not sure about these as I don't (yet) own one!

  Muckle 21:12 15 Aug 2004

It should be an option when you bring up the monitor's on screen menu (press the menu button on the monitor and look for degauss)

  Djohn 21:15 15 Aug 2004

If you use the control buttons on the front of the monitor it will bring up a menu that you can cycle through, there should be a button labelled "Degauss" click on that and your monitor display will shimmer, also make a sharp crackling sound. This should restore everything back to normal.

It may need doing a couple of times, leave a time gap of 30-60 seconds between each one.

  turnip 60 21:57 15 Aug 2004

Many thanks guys, the answer was staring me in the face all the time.

  Djohn 23:28 15 Aug 2004

All we need now is a tick in the resolved box!


This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

Iconic New York graphic designer Milton Glaser on his uplifting new subway posters

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment suivre le parcours du père Noël ?