Space bar and shift key not working

Roxto 14:53 03 Jun 2010

Hi, I recently spilled lemonade on my laptop and as a result my left shift key and space bar do not work. The incident altered some settings but the laptop is functioning fine. Any suggestions as to how I can fix this?

ronalddonald 15:13 03 Jun 2010

1. Take a picture of the keyboard
2. get the old screwdriver out and take it apart
3 take out eh buttons and make a note of any
electrical lights and wires.
4. wash the keys with warm soapy water
5 give th keyboard a quick wipe down with warm water
6 replace the keys and screws and try it should be good as new

ronalddonald 15:58 03 Jun 2010

sorry forget to mention point number seven

7. dry the keys before replacing

wiz-king 16:22 03 Jun 2010

On a laptop? I dont think so.

woodchip 16:45 03 Jun 2010

it should work okay on laptop if keyboard is removed first. you need to take care as the keyboard is connected to motherboard socket by a flimsy narrow ribbon cable, a little white wedge hold the cable in place, this is delicate and does not come out fully only just enough to remove the cable. can be a pain and suggest you take it for repair, it may cost less that damage you do

mooly 17:54 03 Jun 2010

If any liquid has gone on the main PCB then it's going to cause problems in the days/weeks ahead. The acidic sugary mix is highly corrosive to electronic parts (I speak as a service tech... seen countless liquid damaged items) so you need to be 100% certain there is no other contamination anywhere.

If it is just the keyboard, you are lucky and it's worth fitting a new one... but as Woodchip says, if you don't know what you are doing you could end up doing irrepairable damage.

So beware, and good luck :)

Roxto 18:41 03 Jun 2010

Thank you for your help.Unfortunately it's still not fixed but I will take it for repair.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy S9 review

ManvsMachine and other artists put Apple's iMac Pro to the test using powerful rendering tools

What to expect at Apple's 27 March education event

Comment filmer l’écran d’un iPhone ?