Sources of Zone 1 DVDs in UK?

stlucia2 12:18 24 Jun 2018

I want to send a US friend one of Michael Portillo's 'Great British Railway Journeys' DVDs, but I can't find any in Zone 1 format, and I don't think my friend is computer-savvy enough to rip, or whatever you do, to convert Zone 2 DVDs into Zone 1 or Universal format.

Any suggestions please?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:43 25 Jun 2018

Not the sort of thing I would expect to be produced as a Zone 1 DVD :0)

You mat be better ripping it yourself upload to Dropbox (or similar) and passing on a link to your friend to download.

stlucia2 19:57 25 Jun 2018

Yes, I guess I have to get with the times :-) A new unwrapped DVD just looks better when giving as a gift.

wee eddie 20:01 25 Jun 2018

What you do is to make a card and send it to him with a note as to hoe to download his present. For example: a picture of a steam train passing under a bridge surrounded by steam.

wee eddie 20:03 25 Jun 2018

p.s. You could, of course, contact the BBC and et them to run one up for you

stlucia2 08:18 26 Jun 2018

Thanks wee eddie :-)

mrcalif 08:56 26 Jun 2018

Is there still a problem with PAL to NTSC?

stlucia2 20:04 27 Jun 2018

It's not so much a problem as PAL to NTSC, but the fact that DVDs are coded into 4 (I think) regions and will only play on machines that are designed for their region. Some players are universal, so can play any region DVD, but I believe that they're not common in the US.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Microsoft Surface Book 2 15in review

How to create explosive dance music graphics

When is the best time to buy an iPhone?

Quel antivirus gratuit choisir pour un PC ?