soundcard v on-board audio

maxirv 17:19 05 Aug 2005

I am having trouble with my VIA AC97 on-board audio driver, and seem unable to rectify it. I am thinking of just buying a soundcard (seems quicker as I have already spent hours trying to sort out the current problem).

Firstly - am I being stupidly naive thinking this will by-pass the problem, & secondly do I need to worry about price, specs etc (I only really use this PC for household stuff, shopping, & downloading music which i then move to MP3 player). The quality of sound at this place is not an issue. Any advice would be appreciated.

GaT7 17:43 05 Aug 2005

I had similar problems with onboard sound with my Gigabyte motherboard. After hours trying to sort it out I just bought a secondhand soundcard off Ebay. Now I have SOUND, so well chuffed. It was an OEM Creative SB Audigy 2 for which I paid just over £16 (incl. P+P), but you can get much cheaper decent ones. G

GaT7 17:47 05 Aug 2005

Soundcards at Pricerunner, sorted by ascending prices: click here=

Soundcards (internal) at Ebay, sorted by Time ending soonest: click here

Hope this helps. G

GaT7 17:50 05 Aug 2005

Forgot to mention the soundcard I bought didn't come with drivers, but I got great help click here. G

ACOLYTE 17:52 05 Aug 2005

I have to say that my sound is onboard Nvidea 6.1 and its sounds great to me,comming from a stereo setup to this,so my vote goes to onboard
but 6.1 sound cards would probably be the same i have no idea,what i like mose is the fact i can listen to music and still here background noise if,say i am on msn and somone sends me a message.

Completealias 18:10 05 Aug 2005

Yes a dedicated sound card will get round your problems for you remember to disable the onboard sound when you install your new sound card here a soundblaster live 7.1 card from ebuyer for just under £17 click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

3D illustrator Billelis on how to promote yourself on social media

iMac Pro review

Apple Music : comment obtenir 3 mois gratuits ?