Sound Problem

Steophonic 04:29 17 Jan 2005

I have recently formatted my PC and re-installed Windows XP and now my sound will not work as well as before. There is sound coming from the speakers but it's almost inaudible even at full volume (both in the volume control program and on the speaker volume dial). In control panel there is no problem with my audio devices. I opened the PC and found the chip on the soundcard labelled "Yamaha YMF 753-s 131FA" and searched for a driver for this, all I could find was a YMF 753 driver which I installed but nothing changed. The PC is a NEC Valuestar VL500/1. The speakers are fine, I connected them to a different PC and the sound was perfect. Is there anything else I can do?

recap 09:45 17 Jan 2005

If you have on-board sound have you tried searching for the driver for your particular motherboard?

GBL 15:37 17 Jan 2005

On my computer I have to reinstall it from the Motherboard CD.
If you have that disc then it is worth checking to see if it has the Sound card driver on it already.
If not then perhaps try going to their site for it.

Steophonic 01:15 18 Jan 2005

Thanks for your responses, I went to the NEC site and downloaded the YMF753 driver there but it didn't change anything. Unfortunately I don't have the Motherboard CD.

GBL 14:09 18 Jan 2005

I think you need to find out the makers and model of the motherboard then get the
drivers from their site.

Cook2 14:12 18 Jan 2005

click here and Install and run.

It will tell you what's in your computer and also shows links for drivers.

Cook2 14:13 18 Jan 2005

click here and Install and run.

It will tell you what's in your computer and also shows links for drivers including your motherboard.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

Iconic New York graphic designer Milton Glaser on his uplifting new subway posters

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment suivre le parcours du père Noël ?