Sound onboard

Janner2 17:58 24 Jun 2003

I have Gigabyte GA-&ZX motherboard Socket A Athlon 2400 with VIA Apollo KT133 chipset with onboard sound.

How do I turn the onboard sound on and also connect and load a joystick?

Janner

PA28 19:38 24 Jun 2003

I don't know the motherboard, but assuming it has on board sound it will also have speaker jacks and a gameport socket. The latter is used to connect your joystick, although you could use the USB ports if you wish (on the assumption that your joystick has a USB plug). Both sound and game/midi port are enabled in the BIOS (hold down del key on bootup and don't fiddle too much). They are normally on by default, but your Windows Volume control panel may be off - this is the first place to look if all's quiet. You'll find it in Programs, Accessories, Multimedia if all's well.

timo 22:02 24 Jun 2003

My new computer also had onboard sound and no gameport socket. I bought a cheap Soundblaster card from Novatech as I wanted a midi port. I think they must all assume we just want USB joysticks.

Hunte® 22:10 24 Jun 2003

Nearly all new mainboards that have onboard sound will not come with a game port. Also nearly all new joysticks, game controllers etc are USB based devices.

Microsoft wrote the specs for WinXP to do away with legacy connections and the game port is one of these. USB is the new prefered choice for connecting such devices

neko 22:31 24 Jun 2003

Hi,

Are your drivers loaded for the on board sound?
That was the problem with mine>

Janner2 11:13 26 Jun 2003

Thank you for your replies - but I still am struggling!
The motherboard is a Giga-Byte GA-7ZX (apologies for my previous typo)
It has a Joystick input and 3 audio sockets. i.e., USB is not needed for the joystick - it's an old joystick
I have been into System Tools/Entertainment/Volume Control and clicked on it but nothing happens.
I believe this is because in DEvice Manager, Sound Blaster or compatible shows an exclamation mark. I have been into Properties which identifies the Manufacturer as Creative but says it is not available. I have tried Detect Hardware but it does not find it.
Under Bios I cannot find and Audio items to set.
In the manual under Integrated Peripherals it asterisks the following
On board Legacy Audio

woodchip 11:18 26 Jun 2003

The drivers have not been loaded for the onboard sound you should find these on the motherboard CD

Quiller. 11:19 26 Jun 2003

If you delete the exclamation mark in device manager and reboot. Your sound drivers should be on the motherboard disk, install these. This will also install the game port you need, as this is part of the sound card drivers.

Windows always puts generic drivers for sound and modem on a new installation. Most of the time these will not work. So the first option is always to look in device manager for exclamation marks.

Janner2 11:28 26 Jun 2003

Thank you for your replies - but I still am struggling!
The motherboard is a Giga-Byte GA-7ZX (apologies for my previous typo)
It has a Joystick input and 3 audio sockets. i.e., USB is not needed for the joystick - it's an old joystick
I have been into System Tools/Entertainment/Volume Control and clicked on it but nothing happens.
I believe this is because in DEvice Manager, Sound Blaster or compatible shows an exclamation mark. I have been into Properties which identifies the Manufacturer as Creative but says it is not available. I have tried Detect Hardware but it does not find it.
Under Bios I cannot find and Audio items to set.
In the manual under Integrated Peripherals it asterisks the following
On board Legacy Audio
Sound Balaster
SB I/O Base Address
SB IRQ Select 5
SB DMA Select 1
MPU-401
MPU-401 I/O Address 330h-333h
Game Port (200h-207h)
It says these 8 items will only show when there are only AC'97 CODEC Sound
I don't understand this and what to do to get it to show but presumably this is why the Device is not being recognised.
I would appreciate some more help
Janner2

Quiller. 11:38 26 Jun 2003

All of your problems relate to the exclamation mark in device manager. Delete it and reboot.

Add new hardware and the rest will not alter it, as windows has already found it and put the wrong drivers in place. When you reboot have the motherboard C\D handy and take the drivers from there.

Janner2 12:37 26 Jun 2003

BSOD
Thanks for your fast reply
Unfortunately I do not have the motherboard CD a friend up graded my PC and did not give me the CD
However I have downloaded the VIA 686 driver from the Gigabyte site and when I run set up it comes back
VIA AC97 Audio Chipset is not enabled on this system. Please enable it first on the BIOS and run set up again
I have been into Integrated Peripherals and AC97 Audio is set on AUTO as is MC97 Modem
How do I enable VIA AC97?

Janner2

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Inside the iMac Pro - Apple's most powerful Mac yet

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Comment nettoyer Windows et optimiser son PC gratuitement ?