Sound not working

Tycho 15:27 05 Nov 2011

I have recently resinstalled XP on this old computer. Sound no longer works. I have looked in the device manager and see that Other devices -->Ethernet controller and Video Controller both have yellow queries and Sound, Video and Game Controllers --> Multimedia Audio Controller has an exclamation mark.

Whne I was first trying to sort out this problem the Multimedia Audio Cntroller object was in Other devices. I looked for a driver for this and downloaded one and tried to install it but it crashed the system which had to repair itself.

Any ideas as to where I should go from here?

T

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:57 05 Nov 2011

Ethernet controller and Video Controller both have yellow queries and Sound, Video and Game Controllers --> Multimedia Audio Controller has an exclamation mark.

You need to load your motherboard drivers disk of find the relevant driver downloads from the manufacturers site.

Make model of PC / motherboard?

run SIW free http://www.gtopala.com/ to find exactly what equipment is in your machine.

Tycho 16:31 05 Nov 2011

Hm...

I was given this computer some years ago and have no discs with it. I have recently bought another copy of XP because I needed a clean reinstall.

Belarc advisor tells me:

Hewlett-Packard HP d230 MT(DK601AV) System Serial Number: FRB40408PV Enclosure Type: Desktop

and

Board: Lite-On Tech. 0884h Bus Clock: 133 megahertz BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 1.09 11/14/2003

and

Multimedia Audio Controller

and lots of other stuff that I don't think is relevant. Will this be the stuff that SIW free wold have given?

Thanks for the help so far.

T

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:31 05 Nov 2011
  Tycho 16:02 06 Nov 2011

Thanks both.

I have click on the link that Fruitbat posted and am now downloading the Audio driver while keeping my fingers crossed (difficult when typing :-).

T

Tycho 16:16 06 Nov 2011

That was 100% successful. Thanks FB.

T

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Forza Horizon 4 review

Be Warned Mac users - Mojave Breaks Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

OnePlus 6T : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs