Sound icon vanished off taskbar

daihatsu 13:01 01 May 2017

So pretty much as the Title Says. Windows decided it would install an update, and when I came back on after restarting, the sound icon had vanished off the taskbar. This has been going for a few days now.

But that's no problem right? Just right click on the taskbar -> settings -> "select which icons appear on the taskbar -> put sound on? Except it says that the sound IS on the taskbar, when it quite clearly isn't. I tried turning it off, and then putting it back on again, but nothing happened.

Anyway, I'd greatly appreciate any help on this, thanks. Probably just missing something obvious.

lotvic 13:28 01 May 2017

Try the setting 'Turn system icons on or off' (it's just underneath the 'Select which icons appear on the taskbar')

daihatsu 15:10 01 May 2017

Hmm, I went onto what you described, and the sound-on-taskbar on/off button was there, but greyed out (on the 'on'setting). I can't change anything through that route.

lotvic 19:17 01 May 2017

Try this Registry edit: the step by step instructions are on tenforums.com thread clickhere

lotvic 19:19 01 May 2017

Also on click here and don't forget to restart pc afterwards.

daihatsu 17:26 02 May 2017

Yeah, that's fixed the problem great! Thanks a lot, that's greatly appreciated. You didn't have to do this...

lotvic 17:43 02 May 2017

...but I did it anyway :) pass it on, do something nice for someone else, then they do something for another, etc - makes the world a nicer place :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Pokémon Let's Go, Pikachu! and Eevee! review

Best Black Friday deals for designers and artists 2018

How to use Siri Shortcuts

Les meilleurs jeux Nintendo Switch (2018)