sound card question-what is "rear out" used for?

  frior-one 09:36 06 Nov 2003

on my sond card i have holes for the external desk top speakers, the sub-woofer box, the microphone, line-in and there is one labeled "rear out" what is this used for please.

  powerless 09:38 06 Nov 2003

Sound card you have is?

"rear out" the surrounds, maybe?

  hugh-265156 09:39 06 Nov 2003

for surround speakers.

typical 5.1 surround set up:

2x front left and right

1x center channel for dialogue

2x rear left and right for effects behind you

1x subwoofer for lfe.

  graham√ 09:39 06 Nov 2003


  hugh-265156 09:44 06 Nov 2003

click here see the pics for a rough idea

  frior-one 09:46 06 Nov 2003

thanks guys. that would explain it. i set up the pc with a tv out cable last night (svhs+audio) and plugged the audio jack into this rear out socket but got no sound on the tv. only when i unplugged the speakers and plugged the audion jack into there did i get the sound on the tv. so now to get sound on pc and tv at same time i will put a splitter cable in.
once again thanks for quick replys.
i will green tick in a while just in case someone wants to add something else.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How to watch the World Cup for free on TV and online

16 illustration tips for packaging

Best external graphics cards (eGPUs) for Mac

Les meilleurs antivirus pour Mac (2018)