Sony Vaio - Quick restore deletes D- Drive files

novis 12:12 04 Jan 2007

I have a Sony Vaio PC. The supplied software informs that it would restore Drive C but not affect the files on the partitioned Drive.

However, when I ran it, it deleted the files from Drive D. I thought that I had saved them to a removable hard drive, but there was a problem with the save.

Sony offer to take in the computer to confirm that the software does what I claim - as the Drive D delete process is news to them. They wont however, recover my Drive D files for me, which I what I'm interested in.

The reason for this seems to be that file recovery is a 3rd party process which they do not themselves undertake.

So ...

1) Where can I have this done and

2) does anyone have any idea of the cost?

I have tried to run Search and Recover but the files it lists are not recognizable to me: is this 'normal' - i.e. might they list as something else?

Is there anything I could do prior to handing over my PC to a technician to allow him to determine whether my files are indeed there to recover [e.g. a screenshot] prior to spending the money?

I am happy to waste Sony's money but there Isa time element here if I have to be separated from my computer by handing it over to a technician.

... Is there anything else I shd worry about?

novis 11:32 11 Jan 2007

Is there no one with any ideas about this?

rawprawn 11:59 11 Jan 2007

click here download this and see if it will show the files you want.

VoG II 12:01 11 Jan 2007

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

The art of 'British' pulp fiction

Best password managers for Mac

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Tournoi des Six Nations 2018 ?