someone deleted windows setup files!

theDarkness 00:13 04 Feb 2010

Someone has deleted files on my laptop, so when I set up either a new admin, guest, or general account, and then click on the start button with "all programs", I find that regular windows options and folders such as "games" are missing! Do I have no option but to restore? I now only have this one admin account available. I tried creating a new account, but some windows options and standard folders that should appear after clicking on "all programs" are still missing

Audio~~Chip 00:37 04 Feb 2010

Sound like XP and someone has removed components of the operating system. Which windows please

theDarkness 01:47 04 Feb 2010

its vista, but its more or less identical to xp. the original programs themselves have not been deleted, just the windows default shortcuts-but not all windows shortcuts are in found in the "c:hard drive>programs" path. If I restore some missing shortcuts again that are easy to find, thats fine, but as soon as I add another user, they are missing again for that user! The new user doesnt have a games folder with all the shortcuts for them, or shortcuts for windows update, windows catalogue, windows search etc etc

perhaps i should save myself the hassle and reinstall or restore, but i thought there might be an easy way around the problem. i might have to wait for a major windows update! lol

crosstrainer 07:07 04 Feb 2010

Try a Vista repair install:

click here

Read the Link about the BIOS change to boot from DVD / CD first, then follow the steps exactly.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy S9 review

Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 and 32 review – hands-on

When is the next Apple event?

Gmail : comment annuler l’envoi d’un e-mail ?