Some of my Desktop Icons won't open

grifval 09:51 07 Sep 2007

Hi,
Probably something I have done, or I have just had a Win32/PEPatch virus/malware, now cleaned out, has stopped some of my essential Desktop Icons opening with a double/click of the mouse, i.e. Recycle Bin, Control Panel, and a Tools icon I keep all my handy cleaner programs in. How can I get them to work open again with the mouse. I am not afraid to go into the Registry and change something, as I know to back up the Registry first.
Thanks, grifval

brundle 10:52 07 Sep 2007

#72 click here

Not sure if it means enable/disable in the way that you require - it might turn them on and off altogether, but worth a try

grifval 13:51 07 Sep 2007

HI brundle
What a great site. I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for though. I think there is a setting in the Registry to open the programs from the Desktop Icons, I just need to know where itis, and what to set it as. I think it was altered when the virus was cleaned out of my PC.
Thanks again
grifval

Eric10 14:22 07 Sep 2007

Do you get the menu with the "open" option when you right-click the icon and if so does it open the program?

grifval 14:26 07 Sep 2007

Yes it does. Seems a long way round to it. Where is the container for the recycle bin, I was going to try a new shortcut?

grifval

emperor ming 14:31 07 Sep 2007

restore recycle bin icon
click here
win xp fixes

grifval 14:41 07 Sep 2007

Thanks for that. I tried it, and it said it had made an entry into my Regisry, but it didn't work. It is still unresponsive.
grifval

[email protected] 14:45 07 Sep 2007
  grifval 15:00 07 Sep 2007

Hi 'The Raven'
Thanks. I followed the steps, but all entries in my Regisry were already there. I think that was to put a Recycle Bin on my desktop, but I already have the icon, it just won't open with the mouse clicks.
grifval

[email protected] 15:12 07 Sep 2007

try a sfc /scannow,you may be asked for your xp cd

click here

Eric10 15:24 07 Sep 2007

Since you can open the programs from the right-click menu then the obvious thing to check is the double-click speed for the mouse in Control Panel. This may have been increased so you can't double-click fast enough.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

No need to scan sketches into your computer with Moleskine's new smart pen

WWDC history: Apple's product launches since 2005

Comment importer des contacts d’un iPhone à un autre iPhone ?