Some keyboard letters not working

Ellomoto 14:26 24 Nov 2016

Hey Guys,

I have a Dell XPS 15 and annoyingly when I first turn my computer on quite a few of the letters don't work at all (for 5-20mins) and then they randomly start working again fine.

Do you have any idea what this could be/how I can fix it? Clearly it is not the keyboard itself but I assume maybe something to do with the bios?

Cheers! Sam

Belatucadrus 15:56 24 Nov 2016

Most unlikely to be a BIOS problem, more likely to be a physical issue between keyboard and MOBO.

Is it still under warranty, if so try the Dell diagnostics page Click here Preferably while the keyboard problem is occurring. Worthwhile creating a document with your service number in, that way you can cut and paste if the keyboard is playing up when Dell ask for it.

Ellomoto 16:13 24 Nov 2016

Thanks pal,

I'll give that a go! I don't understand why it would be a physical problem given that they work flawlessly after they turn themselves back on. Still.. better than anything I can come up with.

Belatucadrus 16:28 24 Nov 2016

why it would be a physical problem given that they work flawlessly after they turn themselves back on.

Sometimes poor connections improve after the PC warms up, metal expands when heated, sometimes just enough to "fix" a dodgy connection.

I could be completely wrong but given what you've described that's my thought on the issue. Other suggestions welcome.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 6T McLaren edition costs more and charges faster

Pharrell's favourite new illustrator Daniel Egneus on making dreamlike fashion art

New Apple Products 2019: Predicting the new Apple products coming soon

Windows 10 : comment désactiver Cortana ?