Software problems after Shutdown/Restarting laptop

Ali E 08:28 20 Mar 2019
Answered

Hi,

Im using a Dell Core i3 (2nd Generation) laptop, running Windows 7. So, whenever I download a program (Chrome, Firefox or any other program for that matter), it works perfectly initially as long as the laptop remains ON. The problem begins when I restart or shut it down; all the downloaded programs either crash immediately upon starting or show an error message of some missing file in the directory.

Ive tried the following solutions: 1. Run a complete malware and virus scan multiple times 2. Complete reinstall of Windows, without recovering any previous data. 3. Changed the HDD

Please can anyone help as to what might the problem be

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:40 20 Mar 2019

Are you running some sort of cleaning program automatically on shutdown or starup?

Ali E 12:39 20 Mar 2019

@Fruit Bat. No, none at all.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:37 20 Mar 2019
Answer

run sfc /scannow from a command prompt (admin)

see if it finds and replaces any missing or corrupt windows files.

Ali E 16:21 20 Mar 2019

@Fruit Bat. Thanks for the help. I found some corrupt files in the sfc, will have to manually replace them because the automatic repair couldn't. Hopefully, replacing the files fixes the issue.

Thanks again :)

Secret-Squirrel 08:40 21 Mar 2019

.............will have to manually replace them............

There's a chance that you could break your computer further by messing around with system files like that. It's unlikely to be that problem because you said you'd already reinstalled Windows.

Memory problems can cause weird behaviour like that so head over to Control Panel -> Administrative Tools. Double click on "Windows Memory Diagnostic" then restart your computer when prompted. When Windows restarts you should get a little pop-up bottom right telling you the results so keep an eye out for it.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Fold review: Hands-on

How to create a robot painting in Photoshop

iMac 21.5in (2019) review

French Days 2019 : dates, sites participants & bons plans