Software counterfeiting

Spr 21:10 25 Apr 2006

I have just ran update on my machine it now tell me I may not have a genuine copy when I go to Microsoft wed site the tell me it will cost me £92.00 to upgrade.
I thought I had already paid for the licence unfortunaly I was not supplied with a copy of Window XP it was one of these pre-installed packages.

Can anyone tell me what I should do.

I have had the machine for about 4 years never encountered this problem before

lotvic 22:11 25 Apr 2006

were you supplied with the Product Key?

What make is your pc? some do come ready installed with no cd but have a 'restore cd' and also sometimes it is on a hidden partition on your hard drive and you have to burn your own cd.

Skills 22:19 25 Apr 2006

Do have have a license key sticker on your machine?

Spr 08:27 26 Apr 2006

I dont have any Product Key Number not that i can see. I purchased it from a local Computer shop which has ceased to trade.
is there any way of getting rid of this annoying pop that appears on loading in

GANDALF <|:-)> 08:40 26 Apr 2006

'I purchased it from a local Computer shop which has ceased to trade'...I have experienced this many times. The number of computers that I see which have been bought from a 'local shop' and XP is *ahem* not an original version, is legendary. This is one reason that I never buy from 'local shops' and always encourage people to buy from PCW. I have never encountered a counterfeit software problem from PCW.

It might be worth ringing MS again and fully explaining the situation as I believe that there was an amnesty some time ago although I may be getting confused. If you do phone it is worth noting that it is not MS's fault and they are well within their rights to charge.

G

fleamailman 08:57 26 Apr 2006

I am sure this site cannot help you beyond the given line of pay up, and in order for you to pay up I would suggest choosing the right words, focusing on the obstickcal and googling them and if that fails to find a cheaper way to pay then perhaps a walkaround the garden.

spuds 13:02 26 Apr 2006

There was an amnesty, but I think that offer as now ceased. Still worth contacting Microsoft, and asking for their advice.

saintorsinner 15:55 26 Apr 2006

to remove pop up untill you get a licenced copy delete windows update kb905474

lotvic 19:31 26 Apr 2006

The Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder is a freeware utility that retrieves your Product Key (cd key) used to install windows from your registry. It has the options to copy the key to clipboard, save it to a text file, or print it for safekeeping. click here

when you have got it then you can check with microsoft support whether it really is/is not an illegal version.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

The art of 'British' pulp fiction

Best password managers for Mac

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Tournoi des Six Nations 2018 ?