So Many problems Whats the best fix

StellaArtois63 11:13 08 Sep 2003

I have had my first computor now for nearly 3 years and it runs Windows 98se. I had to reformat it twice( Dell spoke me through this ) ,and since then it has never run properly.I cant play games that I used to , certain programs won't run anymore, every so often I have to reinstall scanners and printers because they wont work, and now I have troubles surfing the web because I now have Java script problems and it locks up on certain sites. I use Norton Anti virus and update regulary so I dont believe it has a virus I think its due to my inexperience with PC's that has probably caused it.
What I would like to know is, are there any programs I can buy to give this a check over ( I have Nortons system doctor) or can I take it somewhere to give it a good check up ( not PC World, have not heard good things about them ).I ring Dell to sort out problems but every problem costs me £20.I have also tried to use PC pit stop but now that locks up on me.
I live in the Watford area and would appreciate any help to get this PC running sweet again. Many thanx Ade

StellaArtois63 11:39 08 Sep 2003

Its actually hard to write them all down because I am not that hot with PC's and dont really understand the messages , some come up with errors so I reinstall them , others just wont run the games simply wont load or just lock up so to be honest I am not being of much help to you sorry about that.

StellaArtois63 11:49 08 Sep 2003

I dont actually have an installation disc the PC is a Dell and it comes with a product recovery cd and when I last did one it asked me for the name of a file which I didnt understand.It says I need to find a setupx.dll file then it gives me a box with restore from and it says D:\Win98 and then save in C:\windows\system when I select ok it then says it cant find the file, verify that you have selected the right restore from location. Doesnt mean much to me I hope you may know.

StellaArtois63 12:44 08 Sep 2003

I have tried putting both letters in both drives and trying all combinations to no avail. I downloaded the setupx.dll but when I have opened it, it asks me to select a program I want to open the file with, any ideas what I select. I am sorry to you all if I am frustrating you but my knowledge of PC's is to say not very good if you hadnt already noticed.

StellaArtois63 13:37 08 Sep 2003

I booted up the PC with the recovery disc in it and then I selected Recover Drivers and Install Files it then told me it loaded up 888 files, I hope this is what it is supposed to have done.
Peverelli, I have also transferred that file into the windows file you suggested. I will see how the computor works over the next few days and if I do still get problems I will write them down as they happen and ask what the problem is as Jester2k11 suggested. Many thanks to all for your advice it is much appreciated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

FIFA 19 review

Adobe announces Custom Toolbars for upcoming ‘Illustrator CC 2019’

iPhone XS vs iPhone X: What is the difference?

Les drôles de questions à poser à votre assistant Google Home