Slow XP Startup

Anti_Virus 12:12 27 Sep 2005

Hi, I have a Dell Inspiron 510m, running at 1.80Ghz, on XP Professional (SP2), on a 60GB Hard-Drive and 512MB RAM.
I've only recently put XP Pro on the PC, it came with Home, but as I had some major issues with that, I done a new installation, and formatted the drive. Now I've got Pro on there, it's all up and running. However, I am having some really slow startup times.

The actuall BIOS and Windows Startup (you now at the beginnig, the windows logo and the blue bars) are relatively short, but then I get a blue "welcom"' screen (with the XP Starup sound). Then, I wait.... It holds the blue welcome screen for aboy three minutes, before finally loading the desktop, which also takes time to load the icons and taskbar programs.

As I've only recently put Pro on there, I'm only using 5.6 GB on the 60 GB Hard Drive, so I can't see why it has anything to do with hard drive soace. I have only 4 Startup programs: Norton Internet Security 2005 Firewall; Dell QuickSet (a power managment tool); Microsoft AntiSpyware and Norton System Doctor.

I've also installed Bootvis, but no success.

Can anyone help?

Yoda Knight 12:20 27 Sep 2005

What results did you get from Bootvis ?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:21 27 Sep 2005

"I have only 4 Startup programs: Norton Internet Security 2005 Firewall; Dell QuickSet (a power managment tool); Microsoft AntiSpyware and Norton System Doctor."

The two that are slowing down the PC from loading desktop icons are the NOrton Progs. They are notoriuos resource hogs.

"It holds the blue welcome screen for about three minutes"

Lots of devices/ drivers /services are being loaded at this point. You can cut down on the nuber of services have a look click here

Anti_Virus 13:09 27 Sep 2005

"What results did you get from Bootvis ?"

What info do you need, cause its all just a load of scribbles on graphs to me. I just use the Optimization.

zarobian 16:06 27 Sep 2005

As Fruit Bat suggested Norton is quite a hogger. It delays the start up program considerably. Even the Microsoft Securty Centre will report that your computer is not protected.

At the same time 5.6 GBS is not sufficient to load WindowsXP Pro, effectively. If you could increase the size to 10/15 GBS it will accelerate loading.

Anti_Virus 16:31 27 Sep 2005

Well, I have disabled Norton System Doctor, because that's not a necesity, however, there is still a very slow start up time. Having a Firewall is important so I won't disable Norton Internet Security.

Also, I never had this problem on XP Home, and I had NIS 2005 loading at start up on that OS too. So surely that can't be it.

BTW, Fruitbat, I'm not completely sure what you meant by "If you could increase the size to 10/15 GBS it will accelerate loading."

the 5.6 GB was how much Hard Drive space I've used up. I was just informig you of as much info 'bout my PC as possible. But I'm interested in what you were saying to increase....?

Anti_Virus 19:14 27 Sep 2005

BTW, Fruitbat**, I'm not completely sure what you meant by "If you could increase the size to 10/15 GBS it will accelerate loading."

**Sorry thats wrong, I was talking to zarobian

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Inside the iMac Pro - Apple's most powerful Mac yet

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Comment nettoyer Windows et optimiser son PC gratuitement ?