Slow upload speed

Kenndo 08:49 07 Feb 2006

I have a 2Meg ADSL connection with Wanadoo and have never had any problems up until now. On running a speed test I have now found that I am getting virtually the full 2Meg on download but on upload I am getting ~30Kbps instead of 256. I am using a Linksys WAG54G modem/router and I only see this problem when I connect from my main PC. If I connect wirelessly from my laptop everything is OK.
I have run Spybot, AdAware, and Microsoft AntiSpyware but I am still getting the same problem.
I have also recently installed a Lifeview FlyDVB-T card and a DVD Rewriter. Any Ideas ?

Thalmus 09:01 07 Feb 2006

Your upload speed is limited to 256 kbps

CurlyWhirly 09:04 07 Feb 2006

I don't think that there's anything wrong as your upload figure is normal.
I have just tried out a broadband speed test (see below):

click here

You won't get the 256 speed as that is in kilo bits NOT kilobytes.
There are 8 bits in a byte so 256 / 8 = 32 (excluding overheads) so your upload speed of around 30 KB sounds okay to me ;0)

anskyber 10:07 07 Feb 2006

Yes I ask ed same question a little while ago, the upload speed is limited by your modem. click here for an explanation click here for the full thread.

Kenndo 10:45 07 Feb 2006

When I run the Speedtest (from from my laptop I get an upload speed of 247 Kbps (30.9 KB/sec). But on my main PC the value is 34.3 Kbps (4.3 KB/sec)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy S9 review

ManvsMachine and other artists put Apple's iMac Pro to the test using powerful rendering tools

What to expect at Apple's 27 March education event

Comment filmer l’écran d’un iPhone ?