Slow startup/shutdown

vodkagal3 08:53 03 Apr 2005

I have xp home and it's very slow on startup and shutdown so I tried to cure the problem but being a novice I have not managed and now when I start my pc I get a strange program in the taskbar "two boxes" and a message that tells me the program can't be found and to remove it from the registry!! I followed (or thought I had) trouble shooter on the subject and used Msconfig. So 1) how do I get rid of the annoying two boxes in the left side of my task bar on startup and 2) any suggestions why my pc is so slow on start/shutdown.
I have done defrag. and other things the help section suggests.
Any help would be appreciated.

Diodorus Siculus 09:02 03 Apr 2005

click here
Windows XP Home and Professional Service Pack 2 Service Configurations by Black Viper will give some options for start up.

Run the system file checker:

start

run

sfc /scannow

This fixes any system files damaged.

vodkagal3 09:42 04 Apr 2005

Thanks Diodorus the problem with slow start/shutdown is a little better but I still can't get rid of the boxes that appear when I start my pc.
They appear in the task bar next to the start button and a message pops up saying the program can't be found!! I can clear the annoying symbol by pressing cancel and everything seems to work as normal but the problem rears its ugly head again when I next switch on my pc....any further ideas to get rid of this problem would be appreciated.

vodkagal3 09:42 04 Apr 2005

Thanks Diodorus the problem with slow start/shutdown is a little better but I still can't get rid of the boxes that appear when I start my pc.
They appear in the task bar next to the start button and a message pops up saying the program can't be found!! I can clear the annoying symbol by pressing cancel and everything seems to work as normal but the problem rears its ugly head again when I next switch on my pc....any further ideas to get rid of this problem would be appreciated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

How Sketch and InVision have revolutionised our design workflow

The best tech gifts for Christmas 2017

Les meilleurs jeux de société (2017)