slow internet

dublin lad 11:10 18 Jan 2006

This is realy bugging me.
I have up the ram to 512mb and when i connect to the internet it is still very slow , i have a second computer which my son uses so i connected that up to the broad band and it is super fast and that is 766mhz 256mb ram about 3 to 4 years old ,, so is my other computer knackered or what .
please help.

rmcqua 11:11 18 Jan 2006

Sounds like you may have some spyware or worse slowing down your machine. Are you up to date with spyware/virus protection?

dublin lad 11:39 18 Jan 2006

i am up to date on everything, i have the the lastest mcafees software, zone alarm , spy doctor , i have scanned my computer every which way i can and i am about to pull my hair out.
the computer is about 6years old 766mhz was 256mb now 512mb of ram 20gh hard drive 13gb free space , i have done a speed test on the internet for the broad band and it fine , and the second pc i have is flying along .
has my pc seen its days
mark.

beynac 11:42 18 Jan 2006

If you are using Windows 98 you could find that McAfee's causing problems. Se my post to you other thread - click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

See iconic duo Smith and Foulkes' epic animation for the BBC's Winter Olympics coverage

iMac Pro review

Idées cadeaux pour geeks et tech addicts