SLOW INTERNET

baldyx 21:18 07 Jun 2004

My internet access suddenly is very slow. I am using dialup modem.
In the task manager, there is a process SYMPROXYSVC.EXE running with heavy cpu usage. Is this processs required ?
There is no memory problem.

Thanks.

ahales42 21:22 07 Jun 2004

check this click here

GaT7 21:34 07 Jun 2004

Or click here.

"If you are running NIS 2002, NPF 2002, or Norton Internet Security 2002 Professional Edition (NIS Pro) and the startup problems continue or you notice a decrease in browsing speed, then change the Windows load time for SymProxySvc.exe (SymPxSvc.exe for NIS Professional) and Nisserv.exe." Iinstructions are on the site. Good luck, G

baldyx 11:59 10 Jun 2004

I have changed the loading of the Norton products e.g, firewall etc from Automatic to Manual. This has not improved performnance.

Also did a Symnatec scan of the computer which has reported one port 113(Ident / Authentication. This service is required by some mail, news, or relay chat servers to allow access. A stealth result on this port could cause performance problems.).

Will the change from 'Stealth' to 'Close' of this port improve performance? If so how can I change it? I cannot find this port in Control panel. I use Windows XP.

GaT7 14:43 10 Jun 2004

So you tried changing the startup sequence for SymProxySvc.exe and Nisserv.exe, as provided by my link above & still no joy?

Try asking Symantec support directly how to rectify these problems - click here. If you haven't used their system before, click on 'start free online support' on the above link & follow the onscreen instructions. You'll finally be presented with a form to enter all the necessary details including a description of your problems. Be as specific, articulate & detailed as you can be as sometimes they badly misunderstand the key issues & give you the wrong solutions! Also if you're sure you did EXACTLY as detailed in the above link, provide them with the link & mention that you've already tried it to no avail. From personal experience they usually reply within 1-3 working days. Keep us posted. Good luck, G

baldyx 15:04 11 Jun 2004

Thanks to Crossbow7. Unfortunately, the version 2002 of NPF is not supported by symantec. However I am going thru their Support Knowledgebase for any suggestions.

GaT7 00:29 12 Jun 2004

baldyx, any progress so far?

I found this: SymProxySvc.exe shows high CPU usage - click here

baldyx 01:42 13 Jun 2004

I have changed the NFP 2000 startup status to 'MANUAL' from 'Run AT Startup' from within the NFP 2000 'option'. (Previously was done from the Control panel-Administration-Services, which did not work!!). Now the SymProxySvc.exe uses 0% Cpu (!!) and the internet access is a lot better.
However, now if I don't remember to Enable the NFP manually after the system has started, the computer is not protected. So I wish to ( but don't know how ?) to automate this process so that the NFP is enabled without me doing it manually.

Any help will be appreciated.

GaT7 16:19 13 Jun 2004

Have you tried a manual update as suggested by my link above? After update (if applicable) re-enable NPF to run at startup. G

baldyx 14:35 16 Jun 2004

Yes ,i have tried manual update.
May be the problem is not sysproxysvc.exe because
now the internet access is sometime faster than before and slows down sometime. I am confused about it all and so closing this .

GaT7 15:24 16 Jun 2004

May be your ISP? My Internet connection is quick/slow depending upon the time of day - usually slower during 'peak' times as more people are accesssing it. Does this seem to be the case with you?

You could also try a repair of IE & see if that helps. click here if you need to know how.

Other possible factors for slow Internet access - click here. Also, sometimes dodgy software/installs, Windows updates & spyware/viruses can also play a role. Did you notice this slow down after a recent software install or Win update? You do have all your Windows security/critical updates installed, don't you?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Print designer Kelly Anna on confident mark making & modern femininity

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment créer, utiliser et supprimer son compte Facebook ?