Is this site safe to use or is it malicious

ponytail 09:52 11 Dec 2016

I am trying to find out about the following program freemake video converter but everytime I try to down load it it says Bullguard has blocked this site as it is believed to be unsafe.I want to change some video formats to MPEG1/2 and am struggling to find a suitable program to do it.

Pine Man 10:07 11 Dec 2016

No problems with that site. Both my iMac and my PC using Norton think it is safe.

ponytail 10:23 11 Dec 2016

Have you used that program to convert any video files.Do not want to install it if it is not going to work.My main problem is I am not sure what format my videos are in and do not know how to find out.Thanks for your reply

wee eddie 10:24 11 Dec 2016

There is just a possibility that there are PUPs among the Download.

It might be worth your while to have "Unchecky" in your armoury

Pine Man 10:27 11 Dec 2016

I have never tried the software - just advising on the site itself. As wee eddie says watch out for PUPs, which are often attached to downloads from freebie sites.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:38 11 Dec 2016

Its excellent software to use for converting or trimming video and audio I use it a lot.

Beware the download contains many PUPS so you must custom install and use something like Unchecky whilst installing then run ADWcleaner and Maleware bytes to double check afterwards.

Once installed ignore the options to update., and dif you want the latest version at a laterdate then do a fresh download and install as above so you have more control over what is happening.

Shame really as a good program is ruined by the crap that is bundled with it.

Burn-it 14:36 11 Dec 2016

I use VLC to change formats.

ponytail 14:48 11 Dec 2016

Hi Burn-it Ihave VLC on my laptop could let me have the procedure for changing formats.Thank's

rdave13 14:56 11 Dec 2016

I agree with Fruit Bat /\0/** . Excellent bit of software but you need a decent AV or Malwarebytes pro to block the crud as it's installing. **Bullguard is doing the right thing but over protective in a way. Even MajorGeeks, a safe download site, lets through these types of freeware now but with a warning. Just be a bit savvy when you install.

ponytail 15:49 11 Dec 2016

I have tried the following procedure on VLC Open VLC Click Media Click Convert/Save ADD Convert/Save

Not whats next it says something about destination folder

rdave13 15:52 11 Dec 2016

Create a destination folder as apparently you haven't.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 6T McLaren edition costs more and charges faster

Artist Yippie Hey on 3D printing a futuristic magazine cover

New Apple Products 2019: Predicting the new Apple products coming soon

Comparatif : PS4 vs Nintendo Switch