Single SATA drive to run alongside existing IDE

Frosty120 22:17 21 Jun 2005

Hi, I have bought a Single 200gb SATA drive to run alongside my existing 180gb IDE on my MSI K7N2 Delta ILSR Motherboard.
I've plugged the new drive in, but it doesn't show up in my computer or disc manager. The BIOS doesn't refer to it.
If I enter the FastTrak RAID utility (It says press Ctrl F to enter FastTrak when I boot up), the drive can be seen. However, I don't want to set up a RAID array. I just want to use the drive on its own for extra storage. The only options in FastTrak are Mirrored or Striped, which I don't want. I've viewed all this but haven't saved any changes in FastTrak, so my RAID settings should be the same.
My Motherboard Manual only seems to talk about setting up a RAID Array and not about how to just install SATA drivers.
On my Motherboard CD is an application called 'Promise Serial ATA Rail Utility'.
I've heard that I must install RAID to make SATA work, even though I dont want to use RAID.
If I go to install The Promise utility, it gives me 6 installation options:
"All components,
Customize,
FastTrak,
FastTrak 376,
SuperTrak,
UltraTrak."
I don't know which one to choose if any!!
The Manual talks about setting IP addresses and 'Sever Descriptions' up after installing 'PAM' (which is the Promise Array Managment), this seems like a different setup to what I am after, so I am reluctant to install.
I am very very confused.
What do I need to install??
I appreciate any help.
Thanks.
Matthew

Frosty120 22:20 21 Jun 2005

I've put some more spaces in to make it easier to read.

Hi, I have bought a Single 200gb SATA drive to run alongside my existing 180gb IDE on my MSI K7N2 Delta ILSR Motherboard.

I've plugged the new drive in, but it doesn't show up in my computer or disc manager.
The BIOS doesn't refer to it. If I enter the FastTrak RAID utility (It says press Ctrl F to enter FastTrak when I boot up), the drive can be seen. However, I don't want to set up a RAID array. I just want to use the drive on its own for extra storage.
The only options in FastTrak are Mirrored or Striped, which I don't want. I've viewed all this but haven't saved any changes in FastTrak, so my RAID settings should be the same.
My Motherboard Manual only seems to talk about setting up a RAID Array and not about how to just install SATA drivers.
On my Motherboard CD is an application called 'Promise Serial ATA Rail Utility'. I've heard that I must install RAID to make SATA work, even though I dont want to use RAID. If I go to install The Promise utility, it gives me 6 installation options:
"All components,
Customize,
FastTrak,
FastTrak 376,
SuperTrak,
UltraTrak."
I don't know which one to choose if any!!
The Manual talks about setting IP addresses and 'Sever Descriptions' up after installing 'PAM' (which is the Promise Array Managment), this seems like a different setup to what I am after, so I am reluctant to install.
I am very very confused.
What do I need to install??
I appreciate any help.
Thanks.
Matthew

Frosty120 22:21 21 Jun 2005

Sorry, I'm tired.
I hope it isn't to confusing.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:46 21 Jun 2005

Maybe a look at click here for the sata drivers?

Frosty120 22:55 21 Jun 2005

I think these are actually the ones on the CD, so I have the same problem of not knowing what to install etc, and also they're all RAID drivers too.
Thanks for the link though.
Matthew

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:04 21 Jun 2005

Yes but with only one SATA drive you cannot set it up in any sort of raid format anyway, It will run as an extra drive along side the IDE drives.

But of course it needs the sata drivers to work.

load the drivers but not the utility prog.

Frosty120 01:02 22 Jun 2005

ok, I've downloaded and ran 'Driver version: 1.0.0.19', aka 'WinXP Promise FastTrak 376/378 Controller'. Turns out I had already installed this driver from my system disc.
The only thing I havent installed is the utility, as far as I can tell.
Disk Management still doesnt see my new drive.
Any idea what I'm doing wrong?
I know that you can create a RAID array from an IDE and a SATA drive, and I don't want to loose my data on my existing IDE drive, hence why I am so cautious not to play with RAID.
Matthew

Frosty120 21:22 23 Sep 2008

It seems that my computer can only run eiether SATA or IDE, which seems silly, but I suppose it is an early SATA board.

Zeppelyn 02:19 24 Sep 2008

Check your BIOS settings, there should be an option to use as IDE without Raid.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

How Sketch and InVision have revolutionised our design workflow

The best tech gifts for Christmas 2017

Les meilleurs jeux de société (2017)