Simple, reliable broadband

beauchampboiler 18:47 03 Dec 2010

I am looking for a good value basic ADSL standalone broadband package. Speed isn't an issue as the maximum I can get in my area is 2.5Mb/s although a high/'unlimited' download limit is more important. I have already looked at PlusNet and Tesco but they both have unfavourable reviews. I would be happy to pay around £10/mth.

Any help would be much appreciated so thanks in advance.

Pine Man 18:56 03 Dec 2010

You don't give your location but if they are in your area have a look at O2. Good price, good service and free uk helpline.

GaT7 18:58 03 Dec 2010

Can you get O2 broadband (click here) in your area? click here to check. I've been with them for almost 3 years & the service is exceptional.

If you go via a cashback site, like Topcashback click here / Quidco click here, you can get £50 back to make it even better overall - that's an average of £4 lower a month. More info about the cashback in this thread click here. G

MIKE. 19:03 03 Dec 2010

I have O2 as my ISP and get about 11 Mb. Where as when I was with BT Total Broadband I was lucky if I got 3Mb. Because I have an O2 Mobile phone contract so I pay £10 a month with virtually unlimited download. The outages I have had are
almost zero. Have a look at their site.

morddwyd 20:26 03 Dec 2010

Before you go to O2

click here

They may be better than some, but they are not totally without fault.

I have had various ISPs since 1996 (including Orange and Wanadoo) but O2's customer service is by far the worst I have ever had to use.

If only their broadband service was even one third as good as their mobile service!

rdave13 20:35 03 Dec 2010

Just under £20, I know it's double your original price limit, but that's not practical for just a standalone BB. I recommend them, ADSL24;
click here

exdragon 09:11 04 Dec 2010

Another aupporter for o2. They're easy to contact, their customer support is, as has been mentioned, exceptional and I only remember a couple of short outages in a couple of years. If you have an o2 mobile, you get a discount too. I've also got their Homephone package.

beauchampboiler 09:46 04 Dec 2010

Thanks a lot for all your help and it's nice to see glowing praise for one ISP, that makes things much simpler.

beauchampboiler 13:43 04 Dec 2010

Unfortunately I can only get 02's basic package in my area (I live in Ipswich) which isn't right for my needs. Any other suggestions?

john bunyan 13:54 04 Dec 2010

If you want the "Which" best supplier, and they only insist on a one month rolling contract (I hate signing up for a long time) then Zen is good and has a UK tech support. May be a little expensive.

john bunyan 13:55 04 Dec 2010

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

The art of 'British' pulp fiction

Best password managers for Mac

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Tournoi des Six Nations 2018 ?