Simple question re wireless products

[DELETED] 17:33 07 Dec 2003

I have what (I hope) is a simple question.

I have a broadband connection to my PC (via a BT USB modem). Problem is, my PC is upstairs and the telephone socket is downstairs. For over a year, I have had a telephone extension cable snaked out of the living room, up the stairs, along the hall and into the office. Classy.

Although I may well have another PC and/or laptop soon, I am not so interested in networking as in a simple wireless connection from downstairs to upstairs BUT I am very confused by the products that are available!

Am I right in thinking that I need:

1. Wireless router
2. Ethernet modem
3. PCI or USB PC card/receiver?

This seems like about £200-worth of equipment (all of which will undoubtedly be 1/3 the price in 6 months' time). And do I have to discard my existing USB modem?

Is it better to get 1 and 2 in an all-in-one unit (like D-Link and Netgear offer)?

Which are the best brands/makes?

Any particular models to recommend?

Thank you!

Maughan

[DELETED] 18:00 07 Dec 2003

I have a Netgear 824m (combined wireless access point, router and modem) I would recommend Netgear, as they are a very reasonable price and provide excellent support. Setting up is very quick as well. I know one of my friends uses the same product. He has his plumbed into a phoneline upstairs while his computer is connected in the office downstairs. He also is able to plug his laptop in as required.

Try click here for a few reviews of products. I paid £120 including a wireless access point for mine. Have a look at the different wireless standards. Walls affect the performance (Although from personal experience B seems more than adequate to get through walls without dropping speed) There is the WGT624, with is G standard (also compatible with B) loaded with security features, with hi potential speeds. Its about £100, plus access cards (depends which ones you choose to the cost)

I went for the all in one option as it makes a nice compact option without too many wires all over the place.

[DELETED] 18:26 07 Dec 2003

go to your local DIY shop and buy a telephone extension kit for around £10 it is simple to fit and has full instructions and will also save you lots, failing that get BT to install an extra socket for around £70 stiil cheaper that wireless?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Microsoft Surface Book 2 15in review

Illustrator Amy Grimes on how setting up her own eco-brand led to success with clients too

MacBook Pro keyboard issues and other problems

Test : l’enceinte connectée HomePod d’Apple