Simple home network

ned3110 16:26 13 Jun 2010

I have a desktop pc running Vista and a laptop running 7. The desktop pc is connected to an orange livebox via a wired connection and the laptop is connected via a wireless connection. The connection are good and both can connect to the internet no worries. What I wish to do is network them together so that I can view pictures and use the printers on the desktop pc. Unfortunately I am having problems. I can see the laptop from the desktop but when I click on it, it prompts for username and password. After putting this in it tells me that its incorrect, but I know they're right. Where am I going wrong? All I want to do is just start a fresh and set up a simple network which Microsoft claims is easy!

Please help!

mgmcc 19:41 13 Jun 2010

The Username and Password that you're being prompted for are those with which you're logged in to the *REMOTE* computer, not the computer you are operating. It actually simplifies networking to use the *SAME* Username/Password in each computer.

ned3110 21:02 13 Jun 2010

I know its not for the computer that I'm on but the one I want to access and I do use the same username and password on both! but it wont accept it!

mgmcc 07:53 14 Jun 2010

Have the folders in Vista that you want to access been shared with the correct "permissions" set?

The Potter 15:35 31 Aug 2010

Not sure if it's true, but I've recently brought a laptop running Win 7 and it says it can only view docs on another Win 7 system via the network. I haven't tried it.

mgmcc 17:49 31 Aug 2010

No, it isn't true. You can only set up a "Homegroup" between PCs running Windows 7, but you can still set up a conventional Local Area Network between Windows 7 and other operating systems.

I have Windows 7 networked with XP Home, XP Pro, Vista and Mac OSX.

Strawballs 22:49 31 Aug 2010

Windows 7 defaults to a password protected network that will only work with other windows 7 so to get it to work with vista and XP go to the network and sharing centre on the win 7 machine and switch off password protection. That is what I did and I now have a working network between 2 XP 1 vista and 1 win 7 machines.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy S9 review

Adobe price increase confuses customers

What to expect at Apple's 27 March education event

Comment filmer l’écran d’un iPhone ?