silent modem in W 98

palinka 19:09 06 Feb 2004

I thought I knew how to fix the problem of the silent modem ( modem>properties>connection> advanced. then type ATM1 in Extra settings)But when I tried to do this in my sister's pc (OS is W98)there was nowhere to type ATMO1. Any ideas, please?

Gongoozler 19:56 06 Feb 2004

Try highlighting the modem in Device Manager, select Properties and click on the Modem tab. You should hen have a Volume slider.

palinka 22:08 06 Feb 2004

Gongoozler, I've already got the volume slider and it's set to maximum; but there's still no dialling sound.

gold 47 22:20 06 Feb 2004

Is your modem new or old? as some dial up modems
have no speaker and are silent on dial up.

gudgulf 22:21 06 Feb 2004

What make is the modem?

palinka 09:36 07 Feb 2004

It's an Intel[R]536EPV.92 and came on a new system about a year ago. before that she had a different system on which you could hear a diallling sound.

BRYNIT 11:27 07 Feb 2004

If you have a SBlaster card check the mixer control settings to see if the modem is not set to mute this may also apply to other cards.

palinka 12:40 07 Feb 2004

Thanks BRYNIT, I'll pass that advice on (sister lives 150 miles away; was trying to solve her probelm while visiting earlier this week).

Diemmess 12:51 07 Feb 2004

In addition to BRYNIT who probably has the answer, I was helped on this forum a couple of months ago with an ammendment for the modem's control string. My problem was the exact opposite of yours -it screeched too loudly regardless of Windows settings.

The addition of 2 characters solved it- "like ^0"
Can someone out there suggest what Palinka might try?

palinka 09:15 08 Feb 2004

I'll tick resolved for now, as it'll be some time before I hear if BRYNIT's suggestion did the trick.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Inside the iMac Pro - Apple's most powerful Mac yet

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Comment nettoyer Windows et optimiser son PC gratuitement ?