Shut down and boot issues

dani7o0o0 18:50 13 Mar 2019

Hi, I am facing really weird problems for a while. Last week my pc started having several Memory Management Bsods (5-6) but havent had one lately. The main issue only occurs if my fast startup option in Windows is on or while my hdd turns off while PC sleeping. When my pc shuts down, the screen turns off normally, the pc shutting down sound is normal but my case fans and cpu fan continue to spin for a while. Then pc turn on sound appears and then after about 10 sec finally my pc shuts down. Something similar happens when booting as well (only with fast startup on). I made a lot of hardware tests but there were no errors. What is causing this problem and is it hardware related? Thanks in advance!

Bris 20:26 13 Mar 2019

What happens when you have FastStartup on is that when you shut down, the current state of the PC is written to the Hyberfil.sys file, its like a shorter version of hibernate, In other words the HDD which contains the Hyberfil.sys file has to be up and running. Sleep mode may have something to do with it as you may get a conflict.

I am not a fan of FastStartup and keep it turned off as it has caused problems in the past when I have swapped drives. The very small difference it makes in the startup time is not worth the hassle. Unfortunately MS likes to turn it back on again with updates.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 10 Now On Sale: Price, Specification & Features

Best free Photoshop brushes 2019

Apple TV streaming service: what, where, when and how much

Les meilleurs écouteurs et casques audio Lightning (2019)