Should I use a Guest Network at home?

MattCiderUk 14:20 13 Aug 2018

Hello

This is my first post, so hopefully in the right section! We have PCs and Macs in our house as well as Smart TVs and PS4. Is it safe for the Smart TVs and PS4 to connect to main home network or should they like other IoT devices be on a separate or guest network?

Thanks in advance Matt

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:08 13 Aug 2018

If your router is capable of handling two networks

Disable the guest network then put TV and tablets etc. on one network and PC's that handle banking or online commerce on the second.

MattCiderUk 18:22 13 Aug 2018

Thanks FrutBat and MrCalif

At the moment I split my main network into a 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz rather than using the same SSID for both and letting the device / computer choose which one is better to use. Maybe if I put computers on one and anything else that doesn't need to be so secure and doesn't need to stream on another guest network with a completely different name.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:36 13 Aug 2018

I only mentioned the two networks for security reasons as TVs are relatively easy to hack although hackers are more likely to go for servers rather than an individual's TV :0)

Just leave it as you have it now and let the device choose.

MattCiderUk 19:07 13 Aug 2018

I forgot to mention I also have a NAS drive. Access at the moment is limited to me and with my computer only. The rest of the family can't use it and have blocked external cloud web and app logins. So in view of this would it be better to keep PS4 and smart TVs on a guest network and everything else on main network but no separating both bands.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Google Home Hub review

Print legends Dan Mumford and Supermundane on making the leap from 2D to AR

How to watch Apple’s October 2018 iPad launch

OnePlus 6T : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs