Should I dump microsoft Excel?

Housten 12:49 09 Apr 2018

Good Afternoon, Gentlemen, I was reading in the magazine PC PRO that if one has Excel from 2015 or so it should be dumped. I am still using Microsoft Office Professional 2003. I find it does everything I need, so I see no need to dump it!! Or am I missing something??

Menzie 00:06 11 Apr 2018

I'm running Office 2016, I was previously using a free alternative (Not Open or Libre Office) however it annoyed me with the popping up of offers for the full version.

I ended up taking on a project at work and required Access to make a database using VB Script so was provided with a copy of Office Pro 2016.

Office 2016 has been fine for my needs and I like the fact that I can send MS file formats without worrying what they will look like on the other end. On my previous software I'd send documents as a PDF just to make sure the formatting was the same at the other end.

Forum Editor 09:13 11 Apr 2018

MJS WARLORD

"...re read my post please"

I don't need to do that, I was quite capable of understanding it the first time. I simply posted what Microsoft has told me - that there will be no further security updates or software updates for Microsoft Office 2007.

It's not unusual for Microsoft to continue to release some updates after the published end of life dates on its software, but the fact remains that it could cease at any moment. It's always wise to migrate to a newer version when an 'end of support' date comes around.

wee eddie 10:10 11 Apr 2018

Of course, you can always carry on using it on a Computer that is "Never" connected to the Internet

Housten 16:15 11 Apr 2018

Good Afternoon, Gentlemen,

Thank you all for your posts. I use Excel on my computer for my own spread sheets. I am 74 plus and rarely send sheets of any description by email. I think I will stick with what I have got. I am grateful - mostly - to everyone who contributed a post to this subject!!

Housten 12:32 12 Apr 2018

Good Morning, Gentlemen,

Many thanks to everyone who posted a reply. Based on what has been said I will be sticking to my version of Excel, thank you very much.

Forum Editor 14:59 12 Apr 2018

"I am 74 plus and rarely send sheets of any description by email."

Understood, but that doesn't mean the software itself is not vulnerable to exploit or infection whenever you browse the internet.

It's a small risk, admittedly, but it exists.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iPhone 11 Pro vs Huawei P30 Pro: How Pro should you go?

IBC 2019: new video tools from Adobe, Blackmagic, Lenovo and more

iOS 13 release date, time & new features

Les meilleurs appareils connect├ęs compatibles avec Google Home (2019)