Should I buy this gaming PC?

rgpark148 15:26 21 Nov 2017

Looking to get my son a pc for christmas. What are thoughts on this one I've seen advertised? Or am I better going to PC World for a new one! I'm not looking to spend more than £400 all in!

wee eddie 15:52 21 Nov 2017

This was quite something when it was reviewed in November 2010. Yes, that's right, 2010. It runs Windows Vista and will probably not play many recent games.

rgpark148 16:23 21 Nov 2017

Seller bought it in 2009 direct from dell it cost £1300. It has been upgraded a couple of times with extra memory and a faster processor etc. It has a windows code but it came with windows vista originally and he has upgraded it since with windows 7 and windows 10. It has a genuine copy of Microsoft office with the disc and code.

Just would like some reassurance for it as a starting point for my son.

wee eddie 16:49 21 Nov 2017

Well, so long as it works, go for it

Govan1x 17:22 21 Nov 2017

Like we eddie said. it first came out 1n 2007. And like you said a very expensive computer.

If you are in the UK plenty of Black Friday deals going about so maybe better buying new you at least you get one years warranty with it. or two years if bought from John lewis.

Smudge120 15:29 22 Nov 2017

Go to a local computer shop and say what you want to do and what your budget is. They will advise what they can build and it should be cheaper than PC World or similar stores. That is what I do when I want a new one or an upgrade.

Menzie 11:55 30 Nov 2017

Since you are looking at a gaming PC I'm going to assume that your son intends to play games on it.

If that is the case a 10 year old PC isn't going to do it unless he will be playing the most basic of games.

Also being that old the upgrade path will be limited and you'd have to completely change a lot of things.

I'd recommend if you don't want to go all in at once buying a decent modern base to start with and then throw in a video card later on and other upgrades as necessary.

For a budget of £400 the best gaming option is a console like the PS4 or Xbox One.

If it is going to be other things like social networking, homework then any decent modern base PC will do that which gives you far easier upgrade potential.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?