Sharing internet Laptop to Desktop via ethernet?

Jimmieson 14:23 11 Mar 2018

Hello,

I bought a new PC and set it up yesterday. I realised it doesnt have a wireless adapter inside and I cant find my old wireless USB dongle thing.

So I have ordered a wireless adapter, but in the meantime is there anyway I can share my laptops connection to the desktop PC via a ethernet cable? A quick google search says yes but I cant get it working.

Also the laptop is running Windows 7 and my new desktop pc is on windows 10, so I dunno if that will be a problem when trying to do this.

Thanks

alanrwood 15:37 11 Mar 2018

Can you not connect the PC to the router using an ethernet cable. Faster and more reliable than WiFi.

No problem sharing win 7 and Win 10 computers on the same network

Jimmieson 15:43 11 Mar 2018

Hey, well this computer is pretty far away from the router, not practical to run a cable all through the house to the router. After giving up trying to share the connection, i'm just tethering connection from my phone. This will do for now until my wireless adapter arrives. Thanks

Forum Editor 17:15 11 Mar 2018

I'm astonished to hear that a new computer, running Windows 10 was supplied without a WiFi adapter installed. Was it custom built? It certainly can't be from one of the major suppliers.

alanrwood 18:29 11 Mar 2018

If it is a custom desktop then I'm not surprised. If a laptop then I agree.

wee eddie 18:38 11 Mar 2018

Sounds like an ideal candidate for Home Plugs

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Amazon Prime Day 2018: Best Deals & Launches

Say aloha to the summertime vibes of artist Kim Sielbeck

The best Amazon Prime Day Apple deals 2018

Les meilleures séries Amazon Prime Video (2018)