Sharing Broadband Connection through two computers

  rods 19:37 29 Mar 2007


My dad recently had NTL Broadband installed to his computer.

It has a NTL Cable modem.

What i am hoping to do is run my computer which is in my bedroom upstairs through my dads.

I understand i need a router or something to do this?

Could some one explain in English what i need and where i can purchase it from.

I dont want to go wireless due to the big distance between mine and his.

Thanks for any help.


  howard64 19:48 29 Mar 2007

the simplest is to use internet connection sharing ICS and all you need is a cat5 cable between the 2 pcs either wired as a crossover cable or straight and you can buy a crossover connector which looks a bit like a phone filter. Each pc then needs a network card with an rj45 socket on it. Cost of cards about £10 each and crossover connector was about £5 in Maplins.

  Strawballs 19:51 29 Mar 2007

You will need a cable router I use the Linksys wrt 54g and it will get a wireless connection anywhere in the house and even in my friends over the road.

I find click here very good.

I don't understand why you don't won't to go wireless it is better than having wires around the house.

click here

  rods 20:52 30 Mar 2007

Thanks for your helo Howard and Strawballs.

Will look into the links.

I didnt think you could have wireless due to the distnace from downstairs to up.

Thanks so much.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

The art of 'British' pulp fiction

Best password managers for Mac

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Tournoi des Six Nations 2018 ?