Shall i download service pack 3 on XP?

buel 15:00 31 Oct 2008

hi there, i currently have service pack 2 on XP, shall i download service pack 3? If so, how do i do this please?

Clapton is God 15:09 31 Oct 2008

"shall i download service pack 3?"

Yes.

"how do i do this please?" click here

Kalb 16:14 31 Oct 2008

Not everyone is as definite about downloading SP3
Be prepared for a few changes and maybe a few problems......I'm an old stick in the mud and have declined the offer to download because I like the 'Address' toolbar on the taskbar at the bottom of the desktop.
It is no longer available when you download SP3

Jollyjohn 16:40 31 Oct 2008

Create a restore point first!

buel 18:46 31 Oct 2008

Hi, iv tried and i get the message 'The expected version wan not found onyour system', any ideas please?

buel 18:48 31 Oct 2008

Hi, thanks to Kalb and Jollyjohn, could you please explain what you mean about the 'address' toolbar??

Kalb 09:36 01 Nov 2008

Buel
If you R click on the taskbar at the bottom of the desktop you are provided with a number of changes you can make....Time & Date.......Lock the Taskbar etc but the option at the top is Toolbars..unroll that and you can have a number options shown on the Taskbar including Address
This I find useful as you can type in Web addresses, files & folders etc directly without opening any programmes
Incidently you may care to cast your eye over the thread on this same page.....'SP3 - 2 Hours to download'

Belatucadrus 11:16 01 Nov 2008

I'm wary of recommending SP3, while none of the PC's I've installed it on have had problems, I know people whose machines have been brought to a crashing halt by it. So if you do decide to proceed, read the advisory that pops up before authorizing installation. Do backup, Do set a system restore, Do deactivate other running precesses, particularly security software. Cross fingers and hope for the best.

canarieslover 12:41 01 Nov 2008

I've now installed it on three machines with no problems at all. All are Intel processors and all have had automatic updates enabled. I downloaded the iso file and burnt it to disk and installed form there so that in future I have still got the file to hand when I have time to slipstream it into XP to upgrade my install disk. I have even noticed that where one machine was becoming slower to shut down that it has speeded up that process. If you really have doubts why not do a full image with Acronis first and then you have a Plan B if things do go wrong.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?