SFC flashes past

dagbladet 20:13 18 Oct 2003

My XP home has become a little unstable, locking up when I right-click, jumping out of applications for no apparent reason. I thought I would run SFC as I had seen it mentioned on here. When i hit 'run' a small black screen flashed for about half a second and that was it. Should I get something else ?

Legolas 20:27 18 Oct 2003

Do you have the

powerless 20:28 18 Oct 2003

SFC will do nothing.

sfc /scannow

is the one you want.

Legolas 20:28 18 Oct 2003

I,ll try that again...Do you have the XP disk in when running the sfc command, also try sfc /scannow

Legolas 20:29 18 Oct 2003

Great minds ;-)

dagbladet 20:38 18 Oct 2003

Thanks all, sfc /scannow worked a treat. However once the scan was complete should I have had some kind of report ? It just sorted of did it and dissapeared.

powerless 20:43 18 Oct 2003

Go to start, run, type:

eventvwr.msc

Click ok.

On the left click SYSTEM. On the right look for "Windows File Protection" in the list under source.

There maybe a "few" of them, one to report the start of SFC, the other to tell you what it replaced (if it did) and the final one being that it finished.

dagbladet 21:00 18 Oct 2003

Wow at least a dozen yellow triangles and six red crosses. Mainly for something to do with 'time32' or 'run32'. Lots of 1003 codes which mean nothing to me, will it live doctor ?

powerless 21:07 18 Oct 2003

it'll live!

dagbladet 21:15 18 Oct 2003

Now this is a bit of a worry. That send/don't send error box came up after a 'mini-crash' earlier and suggested my Graphic card (nvidia geoforce 440) was at fault. I downloaded and installed the latest drivers. One of the error codes from scan is as follows-"nv The driver nv4_disp for the display device \Device\Video0 got stuck in an infinite loop. This usually indicates a problem with the device itself or with the device driver programming the hardware incorrectly. Please check with your hardware device vendor for any driver updates."

Dodgy graphics card ?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iPad Air (2019) review

Moleskine launches limited edition Lord of the Rings notebook collection

iMac 21.5in (2019) review

Comment faire pivoter une vidéo ?