setup password

len1 19:12 28 Oct 2008

Any help please...
I need to get into setup, but I have forgotten my password. Is there a way round this problem

wis 19:21 28 Oct 2008

yep there is a few ways hopefully another member here kwows you ,ie stolen pcs burglerys ect
then we can help

len1 09:00 29 Oct 2008

Hi wis, no my pc is not stolen, I am having a few problems and need to change the boot order to do a repair and I would provide my home address and tele No

rawprawn 09:37 29 Oct 2008

By default there is no password in Setup, so unless you made one just leave it blank and hit Enter.
If you made a password you will have to take out the CMOS battery for about 20 minutes to reset your machine

rawprawn 09:43 29 Oct 2008
  len1 10:06 29 Oct 2008

Thanks mate I will give It a try...Will I lose anything If I remove battery ??

rawprawn 10:20 29 Oct 2008

Just a question, when you say setup the usual way is just to keep tapping F2 when booting. I am assuming you mean re installing.
I may well have misunderstood you, or is it simply the BIOS Password you have lost?
Can you explain a bit more.

len1 10:32 29 Oct 2008

What happend was...pc started to do silly things, and then ie7 would not respond so I done a sys restore with no effect ( I assume a virus ). At the moment I am running avast/superantivirus and ccleaner. if these dont work then I will have to do a re-install ( hope not ). so to change the boot order (F8) It is asking me for a password. Also my Norton has dissapeared off the face of the earth

rawprawn 10:39 29 Oct 2008

Are you on XP,or Vista, have you got the installation disc?

len1 10:44 29 Oct 2008

I am on XP PRO and have the disc

rawprawn 10:45 29 Oct 2008

Also to enter setup you usually hit Delete, or F2 or even F10.
F8 usually takes you into safe mode where you would be asked for a password.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

See iconic duo Smith and Foulkes' epic animation for the BBC's Winter Olympics coverage

iMac Pro review

Idées cadeaux pour geeks et tech addicts