setting up xp fax

DMAN 14:36 17 Apr 2005

Hi,

I would like to set up xp fax on my computer. I have installed the program but am unsure how i should set it up because i am currently using aol broadband. Don't quite know what i should do regarding connections of modems etc...

can someone help please

DieSse 14:51 17 Apr 2005

You will need a regular dial-up modem, which you connect to the telephone line just as you would a telephone - ie via a filter.

Stuartli 15:05 17 Apr 2005

Here are previous threads on the subject:

click here

DMAN 15:23 17 Apr 2005

ok I seem to have set it up ok but when sending a fax the document is in word format.

How do I import it into the win xp fax to send. There isn't an option or am I missing something?

DieSse 15:44 17 Apr 2005

A fax is in fax format - it cannot be any other way. If you write your fax in Word, then send it, it will be translated into a fax format automatically. There isn't anything else to do.

The received document should look like the original document - that should be what you want, surely.

Stuartli 15:52 17 Apr 2005

I presume you've added the Fax Console from Add/Remove Programs>Add/Remove Components and configured the setting up of the utility?

If so you go to Programs>Accessories>Communications>Fax and open the Send Fax link.

DMAN 16:00 17 Apr 2005

ok....I've used windows fax viewer to create my document i want to send (used scanner). But what I don't understand is when I go to send fax it asks for all the relevant information and creates a front page but there isn't an option to input my fax file I've created.....no point in sending just a front sheet....

Stuartli 16:13 17 Apr 2005

Try using Word to send a scanned document by fax (File>Send To>Fax Recipient.

Stuartli 16:14 17 Apr 2005

You still require a dialup modem to send faxes - there are ways apparently with broadband but it seems it's fairly complicated.

DMAN 16:18 17 Apr 2005

I have a modem installed and I have tried to send it through word all goes well and it does give a message at the end saying that the fax was sent. However I don't hear any dialling from the modem...should I?

DieSse 16:29 17 Apr 2005

"However I don't hear any dialling from the modem...should I?" - not necessarily, if the modem is muted or for several other reasons.

The important thing is - was the fax received????

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Inside the iMac Pro - Apple's most powerful Mac yet

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Comment nettoyer Windows et optimiser son PC gratuitement ?