setting up and using online fax

jarani 16:25 28 Oct 2006

hi guys - my old fax incorporated in the telephone is fine but i would like to move over to using a computer based fax - which currently i do not understand - what do i need please ?

few shops now stock the rolled thermal printing paper and copies fade fast - i know that i can buy a new normal paper telephone fax - but why not use the computer - or am i barking up the wrong tree ? - your basic advice would be appreciated - jarani

Stuartli 16:29 28 Oct 2006

You can only use a dialup modem (not broadband) to send and receive faxes in Windows.

All Windows operating systems, including XP, have always had an excellent fax system - in XP the Fax Console is installed from Start>Setting>Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs>Add/Remove Windows Components.

You may/will need your XP disk to install the fax feature (tick the Fax Services box).

Stuartli 16:30 28 Oct 2006

Another way, offered by a number of ISPs and websites, is an e-mail to fax/fax to e-mail service - you obviously can use broadband for this method.

jarani 16:45 28 Oct 2006

Stuartli - thank you - i have xp home and orange broadband - do i need a dialup to pay for sending the faxes ? - can i receive the faxes on line and send them by telephone ? - what would i need to do to receive the faxes on the computer ?

i am not sure that i understand your second option - how do i know if my isp offers this service ? - jarani

Stuartli 16:59 28 Oct 2006

The dialup modem is used to send/receive faxes in the same way as your original telephone + fax machine.

However, Windows provides an Inbox, Outbox, Sent etc features on your system so you can keep a record of faxes sent or received.

For fax to e-mail etc see:

click here=

for a choice of providers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

HomePod review

Comment regarder les Oscars 2018 ?