setting up outlook

adamagain 23:13 01 Jul 2005

I have just started on broadband with virgin.net
Im not sure how to set up outlook so i can send emails etc
Any help please how to do this

mgmcc 23:35 01 Jul 2005

Essentially you need to set up a new "Account" in Outlook (or is it Outlook Express?). Either way there is a simple wizard to follow. The information that you need is:

Your Virgin account "Username"

Your Virgin account "Password"

Your Email address which will be "[email protected]"

The incoming POP3 mail server - pop.virgin.net

The outgoing SMTP mail server - smtp.virgin.net

or you can use mail.virgin.net for both!

In Outlook Express menus, go to "Tools > Accounts", click "Add" and then "Mail"

In Microsoft Outlook menus, go to "Tools > Email Accounts" and the wizard opens from there.

adamagain 23:39 01 Jul 2005

mgmcc
many thanks

chaoswarror 10:12 02 Jul 2005

I had cause recently to uninstall my outlook 97 from XP along with Outlook professional upgrade 98.
up to then my outlook worked fine now on reloading the software I am unable to pick up my emails from NTL.
I have set up the profile as was than and is the very much the same now.

I have tried extending the time-out period also change from man setup, modem setup and back to lan.
My computer is connected to cable modem via network card, the only thing I can think of is surport for my old outlook has been dropped although NTL say this is not so any ideas please.
regards

Eric hall

mgmcc 20:47 02 Jul 2005

<<<now on reloading the software I am unable to pick up my emails from NTL.>>>

The same information as in the previous case needs to be entered, but related to NTL obviously. As regards the connection, in the Email Settings there may be a section for "More Settings" with a dialog box that includes a Connections tab. In there you can select "Connect using my Local Area Network". This is actually a setting in Outlook 2002, but there should be something similar in 97/98 and it may be Outlook not finding your internet connection that is preventing you from accessing your mail.

chaoswarror 20:04 10 Jul 2005

Strange but I still can not get email from ntl. awaiting a response from NTL though.
I did make a sucessful email collect with Outlook Express 6 and now I have access to calendars,tasks,notes,etc etc also which I never had before with Express. So guess I use Express instead.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Print designer Kelly Anna on confident mark making & modern femininity

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment créer, utiliser et supprimer son compte Facebook ?