Setting up a network for a small business

esaali97 10:42 14 Sep 2018

Hi,

So I've been searching online on advice of how to set up the following: - I want to set up a shared folder on a server (based in germany) which shows up as a drive on the PC's that I have set up - I want to set up my PC's like some companies have where the windows has the username and password from the server and all PC's can be accessed by a certain individual as long as they use their login and passwrod (Abit like libraries) - I want to be able to set up the PC in a way that its internet connection goes through the server in germany so that the shared folder stays updated as well as all the PC can be monitored and anything being searched or done on it can be traced etc.

Is there any company that can be recommended to discuss with or how do I do this?

Much appreciated

Forum Editor 12:13 14 Sep 2018

Do you have any experience of working with networks?

You can map a folder on a remote server to multiple drives (which is what you want to do) by using a group policy. The shared folder will consequently be available to all users, as will its contents.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say "I want to be able to set up the PC in a way that its internet connection goes through the server in germany". Your computer will have to be connected to the internet before it can see the German server, as will all other computers.

Once the network server is set up in Germany, the rest is relatively straightforward - remote computers can login and use any shared resources. The network administrator can monitor what goes on, and see all the network users coming and going.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei Mate 20 Pro review: In-depth hands-on

34 tips for turning your art and graphics into amazing animated GIFs

iPhone XR release date, price & specs

OnePlus 6T : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs