Setting Default Browser Problem

billypilgrim 13:14 08 Nov 2006

I have used Opera as my Default Browser for a long time, but recently switched to Firefox 2.0.
After a few days I became dissatisfied with Firefox, so went to Set Defaults to switch back to Opera, but Opera had dissapeared from the list of Browsers to choose from.
i could find no way to reset my default, including uninstalling Firefox, and uninstalling/reinstalling Opera. Atm, my default is Internet Explorer and Opera still does not show up as an option in the Set Defaults, though I can access it via shortcut and quicklaunch.
Any ideas on ways to get it back as Default Browser.

woodchip 13:21 08 Nov 2006

There should be something in the Menu or Options for setting to default

GroupFC 13:21 08 Nov 2006

Presumably from your description you are trying to do this thro' >start>all programs>Set program access and defaults?

One thing to try is setting it as the default thro' Opera itself. It is a long time since I have used Opera, but my recollction is that there was a setting within the program to set it as the default.

Other than that I'll have to leave it up to the experts!

GroupFC 13:22 08 Nov 2006

Great minds think alike, (but some people type faster than others!).

billypilgrim 13:28 08 Nov 2006

My first thought was to look in the Opera menus, but no, I cant find anything there. I hoped that when I reinstalled I would get an option of 'Do you want to set Opera as Default', but I didnt.

Even if there is something buried somewhere in Opera menu, it still woudnt explain why it has dissapeared from the Set Program Access etc, which happened when I switched to Firefox.

any more ideas?

VoG II 13:39 08 Nov 2006
  GroupFC 13:44 08 Nov 2006

I have been having a quick trawl round the web, and I think that when you set up Opera it isn't set as the default browser on installation, which maybe why you don't get this option (only guessing!).

From what I have seen, I think it should be under preferences on the advanced tab (see click here).

GroupFC 13:45 08 Nov 2006

Doh!! Not again!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

No need to scan sketches into your computer with Moleskine's new smart pen

How to use 3D Touch on iPhone

Comment importer des contacts d’un iPhone à un autre iPhone ?