setting up Acronis Universal Restore in Windows 10

coverts 18:13 24 Jan 2018

I've just installed Acronis True Image 2018 for doing backups. If my hard disk ever fails, I'll need Universal Restore to restore it. Acronis only allows me to set up UR on the hard disk, which is obviously useless, or on the external drive where the backup is. So I put it on the external drive. It seems to be set up so that UR runs automatically when the external drive is plugged in (at least I guess that's what a file called autorun means). But that means that UR will run every time I plug the external drive in to get a backup, doesn't it? On the other hand, if the autorun isn't there, and the hard disk has failed, how does the system start at all? A separate device for loading Windows shouldn't be necessary, because Acronis is supposed to restore all the files, including all Windows files, to exactly what they were at the time of the backup.

beeuuem~2 20:53 24 Jan 2018

Universal restore is only for installing the saved image on a different PC i.e. your machine breaks beyond repair and you have bought a new PC.

click here a 'normal' restore of an image created on the PC you are using see:-

click here

For

coverts 21:39 24 Jan 2018

It really doesn't matter whether I'm restoring to the same hard disk or a different one. Assume that the hard disk is completely blank. The websites you mention say "boot from the bootable media". The only available bootable media is the external drive that contains the backup data. Excuse my ignorance, but I've never been in this situation. Does the booting start automatically when I plug the external drive into the computer? Does it require the autorun file? If it does, does the computer boot in this way every time I plug the external drive in, even if there's nothing wrong with the hard disk? Incidentally, other websites close to the ones you mention suggest booting from a CD. That sounds good to me, but Acronis only allows setting up the UR on the hard disk (which is useless) or the external drive.

beeuuem~2 22:03 24 Jan 2018

It does make a difference if you are restoring to the same PC. The Universal Restore option is to find the drivers for PC hardware if this is not the same as the PC on which the image created.

N.B. The Universal Restore is an option during the restore, not the process by which the restore is started.

To start the image recovery process you need bootable media, either a bootable USB or CD/DVD.

How to create the bootable media is described in

click here is possible to add Acronis recovery to the boot menu as described in :-

click here looks a very complicated procedure compared to other programs i.e. Macrium Reflect.

It This

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:08 24 Jan 2018

You make bootable recovery media on a USB stick (or Cd if your machine has a DVD ) set the machine to boot from USB as first boot device and boot with the USB in a port.

When the ATI program runs insert the external drive containing the image and ATi will find it a recover to the HDD or even a new HDD.

beeuuem~2 22:15 24 Jan 2018

AS you seem to be unfamiliar with the programme I really would suggest you download the manual from click here 17 deals with creating the rescue media and page 88 deals with when to use Universal Restore.

Without the bootable media the program will not run. You need to boot from the media to load Acronis TI and then navigate to the drive containing the image you wish to restore whether that is a drive on your PC or an external drive.

Page

coverts 13:14 25 Jan 2018

Thanks to Beeuuem and Fruit Bat. I was totally confused by the Acronis documentation I read. I think I've now got a CD I can use, but there's something odd about it, and I hope someone can explain. If I try to find out the contents of the CD using Command, the response is "Incorrect function". If use Open and All Files in either Word or Adobe Reader, the file acronisbootablepemedia.iso is listed, but preceded by "Files ready to be written to the disk". Does this make sense?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:03 25 Jan 2018

Did you use acronis to make the media or did you use another type of burning software?

coverts 17:16 25 Jan 2018

I used the Rescue Media Builder option of Acronis. I know there are other ways of creating a boot disk, but I assume the Acronis version has extra features that are specific to Acronis. After my last message above, a message from Windows appeared (one of the dark grey boxes that often appear at bottom right of the screen in Windows 10). It said something like "There's a disk image waiting to be copied to a CD", suggesting that Acronis created the disk image, but only on the hard disk (where it still is). I posted another message here, but it didn't appear for some reason. The disk image is a .iso file, meaning that it probably corresponds to several files and directories (folders), so just copying it to the CD is no good.

beeuuem~2 18:22 25 Jan 2018

That message is usually that a temporary file that should have been deleted is still in the burn folder. This is a common problem.

To do so, open Run box, type shell:cd burning and hit Enter, to open the folder.

Delete all the files in this Temporary Burn Folder folder.

Restart your computer.

You will now not see this message pop out.

If you find that some of the files will not delete, restart your computer and try this procedure again.

Alternatively, you could open the Computer folder. You will see Devices with Removable Storage list. Under this section, select the CD/DVD drive and right-click on it, and select Delete Temporary Files.

The first option normally is all that is needed.

coverts 18:59 25 Jan 2018

The problem was not so much the .iso file not being deleted, as nothing being burnt onto the CD. However, that is now sorted out. Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei Mate 20 Pro review: In-depth hands-on

See concept art from groundbreaking video games including The Last of Us, Journey and No Man's Sky

iPhone XR release date, price & specs

Les meilleurs VPN pour Kodi (2018)