Set up an SSD drive that doesn't show on PC window

tallboy 17:01 15 Sep 2015

I've just purchased a new SanDisk 240GB SSD drive to put in my wife's Dell laptop in place of the hard disk drive. I thought I would format / partition in on my Windows 10 PC first. I connected it via a SATA-USB adapter (that I know works as I used it with a HDD a couple of days ago), but nothing shows up on the 'This PC' window. When I first plugged it in (via the USB cable) there was a temporary icon in the Task Bar (as if Plug & Play was installing a driver) but this went half way through the scan it was performing.

Does this mean that the SanDisk SSD is duff? I already have a Samsung SSD in my PC (for the 'C:' drive) so unless there is something in Windows 10 that dis-allows two SSDs on the same PC, I suspect in might be duff!

I'd like to verify it before taking the HDD out of my wife's PC if at all possible. Ideas as to a solution / fool-proof check would be most welcome. Thanks.

rdave13 17:56 15 Sep 2015

Check computer management, disk management, if it shows. If it does then right click on the lower window for options.

BRYNIT 18:07 15 Sep 2015

If the SSD drive is not formatted or has not been assigned a drive letter it will not show in This PC/explorer.

Go to control panel/Administrative tools/Computer management/Disk management does the SSD drive show, does it need formatting, does it require a drive letter to be assigned.

tallboy 23:30 15 Sep 2015

Thanks for your informative posts rdave13 & Brynit. The disk checks out OK. I'll let the Windows install process format it and then partition it once Windows 10 is in place.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Amazon slashes Echo Dot price to just £24.99 to kick off Black Friday

The 51 Best Free Typefaces Every Designer Should Have

Mac mini 2018 review

Les meilleurs écouteurs et casques audio (2018)